Database Upgrade to 19c or beyond

02-01-2022 08:42 AM
MisbahIrfan
New Contributor

Hi,

We plan to upgrade existing Geodatabases (10.1) that are sitting in Oracle 11gR2 (11.2.0.3). We plan to go to arcGIS 10.8 with Oracle 19c (19.12.0). Are there any folks who have successfully upgraded to latest patchset 19.8 or beyond and are running the stack smoothly? Are there are pitfalls? Are there things to watch before or at migration? My plan to create the empty databases with schemas and roles to manage GIS data, then create the SDE instances via desktop, and finally migrate the data via desktop from old to new DBs.

I'll appreciate if you can exchange your experience with this migration.

Also, can we use Oracle 21c?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I will say that there is a lot to unpack on this migration / upgrade. The biggest thing would be to have an ArcGIS client that could connect to both Oracle versions. ArcGIS 10.8.1 "may" be able to connect to both, but minimum supported version of Oracle for 10.8.1 is 11.2.0.4 (https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/latest/database-requirements-oracle.htm).

We do not support Oracle 21c as of 10.8.1, so it would not be a good version to target. As for support of 19.12, it would be the same as 19.8 which is supported unless otherwise documented.

Once you can connect to both version of the enterprise geodatabase, the copy/paste in ArcGIS client should do the trick.

Is your older 10.1 geodatabase versioned?

--- George T.
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Or use a File Geodatabase in between...

Copy data from the 10.1 gdb to a File GDB --> Copy data from the File GDB to the 10.8.x gdb when its ready.

yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I am in the middle of upgrading as well : SDE (from 10.5 to 10.9) and oracle (from 12 to 19)

What about objects inside eGDB like Subtype, Domain, relationship class. Will they get copied into FGDB ?

And what about indexes, triggers and stored procedure, will they have to be rewritten on to the new DB ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

The EGDB functions (Subtype, Domain, relationship classes, etc.) should be copied into the fGDB when using Copy / Paste. Indexes should come over all.

Any database functionality (triggers, stored procedures, etc.) will not be copied into the fGDB as they are not supported there.

You will need to rebuild / recreate those once you have the Oracle 19c Enterprise Geodatabase ready.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

Hi George. Thank you.
anything else i should consider before beginning the work ? what di i have to prepare in advance and what problem should i expect ?

thanks again

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

There are potentially many unknowns and unknowns unknowns.

My suggestion is to create a plan for the migration / update, test a small sample data set, document (in great detail) what you actually do, then execute.

I would first create a backup, that is verified, of the current systems (Oracle especially) before doing ANYTHING.

and yes I did bold / caps / underlining / red font on purpose

I would also make sure that you have the new Oracle 19c EGDB shell ready for the data and enabled as an Enterprise Geodatabase so you can minimize any potential downtime.

Hope all this info help, good luck, and happy migration!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

George,

is there any documentation about migrating 10.X to 10.9, like for eg this article here?

thanks

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Here is the doc for upgrading an Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/upgrade-geodatabase-or...

--- George T.
0 Kudos