Creating Topology for versioned SDE

05-08-2018 03:01 PM
Yilin_Wang
New Contributor

Hello, I am working on a versioned SDE which will get reconciled to the default SDE hosted in a different office location. Currently, there are a lot of topological errors that I will need to fix such as snapping nodes to lines so I will need to have the validation inspector to edit. When I tried to create new topology for feature dataset, it said “ the selected feature dataset doesn’t contain any feature class which can participant in a topology”. I am not sure what could cause that as there are various points, lines and polygons under the feature dataset. Also, I can't unregister as versioned as I am not the data owner. Can anyone here suggest what I could look into? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The error is a bit misleading: Error: Cannot create topology 

You cannot create a new Topology in a Versioned Feature Dataset. You need to Unregister as Versioned, to create the Topology.

A quick tour of registering and unregistering data as versioned—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

However, before you register data, consider that there are certain ArcGIS operations you can't perform on data that is registered as versioned. These operations are as follows:

• Create a topology.
  • Create a geometric network.
  • Add or remove a feature class from a geometric network.
  • Create a network dataset.
  • Add or remove a feature class from a network dataset or make other schema changes.