Creating Feature Datasets ???

Jump to solution
12-23-2016 11:31 AM
jameshickey
Occasional Contributor

What is the best way to create a feature dataset that can be used with existing feature classes?

I use the tool but I can't move the feature classes into the dataset when I am done.

Basically I either get a "Spatial reference doesn't match" error or I have to import all of the feature classes which makes a copy named _1 for each FC and  then I have to delete the originals and then rename all the copies. 

This is cumbersome for 50 feature classes.

In ESRI's instructions it says to import the Spatial Reference during creation but that didn't work either. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Let me guess, you are using the "New Feature Dataset" menu in ArcCatalog?  Try using the Create Feature Dataset tool instead and import the spatial reference from the feature classes in question. I have run into issues with the New Feature Dataset menu not correctly importing spatial references, or more specifically domains and resolutions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Let me guess, you are using the "New Feature Dataset" menu in ArcCatalog?  Try using the Create Feature Dataset tool instead and import the spatial reference from the feature classes in question. I have run into issues with the New Feature Dataset menu not correctly importing spatial references, or more specifically domains and resolutions.