Select to view content in your preferred language

Connect Change version permissions on Default. Default version owned by SDE but sde user doesn't exist

Thursday
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to change the protection level on sde.DEFAULT version for a branch versioning, but I get the error:

Error 160228: The user does not have permission to execute the operation.

This makes sense because there is no user sde in the geodatabase. It was created as a dbo schema database.

The traditional versioning default is dbo.DEFAULT and changing the permissions on this still works.

Should I change the owner of the Default branch version to dbo? Will it break the geodatabase?

update dbo.sde_branches set owner = 'dbo' where name= 'DEFAULT' 

Does the branch version expect an SDE-owned schema?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would not recommend changing the version or it could cause corruption in other areas.

I usually recommend an SDE schema Enterprise Geodatabase and have the data owned by another user (not SDE) for Branch versioned data.

Did you already publish the data as branch versioned to Enterprise before you tried to change the DEFAULT protection level?

--- George T.
DrewDowling

I totally agree with the SDE schema approach. Unfortunately, I inherited this geodatabase.

Yes, we published the branch versioned data first, then tried to change the protection level. We just recently created branch versioning data, so deleting existing branch versions and feature services is an option if you think this would help.

I also considered creating an SDE user and making it dbowner if I can get the DBA to agree.

This is a SQL Server instance.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@DrewDowling - refrain from updating any ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository Tables directly via SQL because this can corrupt the Geodatabase.

FYI - Important !!!

BUG-000135099 - Branch versioned data owned by the DBO or SDE users allows standard portal users access to view and manage all versions via the service.

Version Fixed: ArcGIS Pro 3.1 / ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1

Workaround: Branch versioned data must not be owned by the SDE or DBO users. Do not register data owned by SDE or DBO users as branch versioned.

Patches:

The ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 Utility Network and Data Management Patch 6 is now live on the support site. The URL is:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-10-9-1-utility-network-and-data-ma...

The ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 Utility Network Patch 11 is now live on the support site. The URL is:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-10-8-1-utility-network-patch-11\

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
DrewDowling

@MarceloMarquesThanks for the warning Marcelo. I'll refrain from any SQL edits to the system tables.

Fortunately the data is in a separate schema.

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @DrewDowling ,

If your geodatabase is owned by DBO, you should still be allowed to switch the default version setting to Protected (using ArcGIS Pro). It would need to be done with the SA user or another user in SQL where their Login is mapped to sysadmin server role. Make sure the connection in ArcGIS Pro is set to branch connection. If you do not, you are changing the setting for traditional versioning. (I make the mistake frequently).

Marlon

DrewDowling

I had the DBA create an SDE account, added it to db_owner but still got the error.

@MarlonAmayaThanks for the suggestion. I'll ask the DBA to temporarily promote an account to  sysadmin and see if that works. 

0 Kudos