Coded Domain Keeps Disappearing from Domain

10-13-2020 10:16 AM
KellyAlfaro_Haugen
New Contributor II

I manage several multi-user geodatabases (SQL, Versioned, 10.5.1) and have never had a problem with adding a new coded domain value to an existing domain set in any of the databases.

Currently I am having an issue with one of the databases not retaining the new coded domain. 

Workflow*:

Add a new coded value, it is there and everything appears fine.

Apply and refresh the database, value is still present.

Close and reopen ArcCatalog, open the database and the value is gone.

I found a similar post at How to add a new code value to existing domain?  but the solution did not fit with the issues I am having. 

There are no Subtypes, the domain is correctly connected to the field and all the existing codes work correctly. 

I am owner and DBA for the database and this same layer happens to be in one of the other databases I manage. The domain applied correctly and with no problems in that database. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Are you absolutely, positively 100% sure the user you are trying to edit the domain with is the actual owner of the domain?  I ask because I was only 99.9% sure and that .1% got me....  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KellyAlfaro_Haugen
New Contributor II

Yes 100%...  I am logged into the server, using the account that has sysadmin, and I can change the domains in the other databases, on the same server, with the same permissions and set-up. (Good question though, I went and double checked to make sure)

I also tried doing this via python, which usually works, and it also failed. Even though the code reported success.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Rats.   That's a weird one alright!  Something is hanging it up; grasping at straws but when was the last time you did an analyze and compress?  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KellyAlfaro_Haugen
New Contributor II

This is an outlier database so it's been a while. I'll give it a try and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, I have, back in 10.4. Nothing worked (reloading from table, typing/copying in everything in the domain, GP append/remove value tools). I did not have the same problem with the domain in my file geodatabases. I had to use a new copy of the domain. After over a year, the problem went away, but I cannot explain why, but I was able to repoint features to the fixed domain with the original standard domain name. Plus the latest version of SDSFIE does not need that domain, so I rarely use it. It is possible that a compress or some other big change fixed it but no one noticed the change.

0 Kudos
KirstenFrost_Andersen1
New Contributor II

@KellyAlfaro_Haugen Did you ever figuring what was causing this issue for you and how to resolve it?  I'm currently having the same issue.

0 Kudos
KellyAlfaro_Haugen
New Contributor II

I ultimately deleted the domain and recreated it from scratch. No clue what happened or why. I have not had the problem since but we have also upgraded the databases in the meantime. 

0 Kudos
KirstenFrost_Andersen1
New Contributor II
Good to know. Thank you for the feedback!
0 Kudos