Cannot delete versions with double quote

Jump to solution
05-06-2015 07:04 AM
RasheedKhaleel
New Contributor III

My assistant made some project versions of our main sde geodatabase and unwittingly used double quote characters in their names, which is apparently an sql no-no. If I go through version manager and try to delete the version using sde superuser, nothing happens. If I try modifying the name or access, I get this error:

versioning.jpg

I don't have access to the sql server to manually dig through that way, and I'm not sure what to tell the IT manager to look for.

Any ideas how to remove these "ghost" versions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

NIM037586 - Cannot create/delete a version containing quotes...

You will have to delete the version from the database end, considering all the factors (the version having quote in it's name, a space being present just after the quotes, etc).

** Take a database backup, make sure all the edits from that version has been Reconciled\Posted and then ask the DBA to delete that version from the 'versions' table at the database end.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

NIM037586 - Cannot create/delete a version containing quotes...

You will have to delete the version from the database end, considering all the factors (the version having quote in it's name, a space being present just after the quotes, etc).

** Take a database backup, make sure all the edits from that version has been Reconciled\Posted and then ask the DBA to delete that version from the 'versions' table at the database end.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Nothing like a nearly 7-year old bug that was found in ArcGIS 9.3 and still persists in ArcGIS 10.3.x.  The bug system says it is "Open: Assigned," which developer is making a career out of this bug?  It is obvious Esri has no intent to fix it, they should show the user community a bit more respect and change the status to "Closed: Will not fix."