I'm trying to create Global ID's on several feature classes in a feature dataset within a non-versioned PostGreSQL enterprise geodatabase. Most of the feature classes have feature services published from them to an ArcGIS Enterprise server, and the SDE is a registered data store for the server. I stopped all the services based on data from this SDE other than one GP service, but I don't think that's connected to the SDE, since the only connections I see when I check connections and locks on the SDE are from my current session. There are no geometric networks or anything else terribly complicated with the feature classes. I've tried running the Add Global ID's tool as well as right clicking on the feature dataset and selecting it that way. I'm getting various errors, primarily the ones below:
"Error 000582: Error occurred during execution."
"Underlying DBMS error"
"Failed to execute"
I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.8, although I think the SDE geodatabases are at an older version.