can't see the updates in Arcmap only back end in SQL

08-18-2022 06:33 PM
Labels (3)
LC27
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I updated a field (gs_phase) for all the records in one data layer. I did it directly in SQL database since there are 14,000 records and it would take too long using ArcMAP.

I can see the field being populated with text values in SQL (see a snapshot_1) but not in ArcMap (see a snapshot _2). There it continues to have numerical values.

Anybody knows, why is that happening? How to make the changes visible directly in ArcMap?

I appreciate anybody's feedback.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Is that Feature Class registered as versioned?

How did you update the data from the database end? Which table/view was used to update the data?

Is there any domain/subtype applied on that field?

LC27
by
New Contributor II

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the feature class (servicepoint) is versioned. Actually, what I learned so far is that in ArcMap (front end) I am working with a view (servicepoint_evw). However, when I updated the field on the database end, I updated the actual data 'servicepoint' that's a part of the view (along with a/d tables).

No, there's no domain/subtype applied on that field.

I guess, the question should be, if there's a safe way to modify the field from the database end that would translate to servicepoint_evw I see in the front end.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

When you create a Feature Class using ArcGIS, the Base/Business Table is created with the same name on the db end (servicepoint in your case). When you 'registered as versioned' the same feature class, the Versioned view (servicepoint_evw) and the delta tables (a- & d- tables) are created at that point of time.

As already suggested by Marlon below, use the Versioned View to edit using SQL from db end. That is the recommended way to edit from db end.

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Please don't SHOUT in post titles. You actually reduce the number of folks willing to read your post by using ALL CAPS. You can edit the original post so it isn't as hard to read.

- V

LC27
by
New Contributor II

Didn't know all caps are considered shouting. Thanks for suggestion. I changed the title to small caps.

MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @LC27 ,

If you want to edit versioned data using SQL, you need to edit the version view (_evw) and not the table itself (i.e. base table). The following documentation provide a clear example on how to accomplish this.

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/using-sql-with-gdbs/edit-versioned-data-usin...

It includes examples on how to edit the DEFAULT version using the version view, or a specific edit version, or create a new version.

Marlon

LC27
by
New Contributor II

Super helpful. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos