Can MS SQL Server 2012 and 2016 exist on the same VM?

Jump to solution
03-31-2020 02:12 PM
JaniceBaird
Occasional Contributor II

I had my Database guy add an instance of MS SQL Server 2016 to my SQL Server vm and now all of my connections to that server are broken! Has anyone else had any luck doing this? I was going to test a geodatabase upgrade to SQL 2016 but now I just want my server back online!

I am running Windows Server 2012 for my SQL Server machines. I have ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1 installed on a physical machine with Windows Server 2012.

Also, I have installed the Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 on the GIS Server. I cannot access the SQL Server from ArcCatalog or Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2019 or 2012.

Another interesting fact: an instance of 2016 was installed on two of my SQL servers but only the one that I restarted has the issue... I can still access the SQL Server which I did not restart after the installation of the 2016 instance of SQL Server.

Any ideas why an instance of 2016 would cause problems?

Thanks,

Janice.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jared_Motuz
Esri Contributor

Hi Janice, 

It is definitely possible to have multiple instance of SQL Server on the same machine and connect to both from ArcGIS Desktop.

What will need to be kept in mind is the instance name that is associated with both SQL Servers and how they are being supplied in the connection file. I would confirm with your database guy on if default or named instances are used, aliases as well, and even if they may have changed the server names. They can also confirm the names of both through SQL Server Management Studio by using the query 'Select @@ServerName'. Use the results of this query to populated the instance parameter in the connection file.

Below is the step during the installation where the name is designated for the SQL Server

Here are some additional documents which can help explain instance names:

What is the difference between named and default instances in SQL Server?

@@SERVERNAME (Transact-SQL)

How do I find the MS SQL instance name on my Windows system?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jared_Motuz
Esri Contributor

Hi Janice, 

It is definitely possible to have multiple instance of SQL Server on the same machine and connect to both from ArcGIS Desktop.

What will need to be kept in mind is the instance name that is associated with both SQL Servers and how they are being supplied in the connection file. I would confirm with your database guy on if default or named instances are used, aliases as well, and even if they may have changed the server names. They can also confirm the names of both through SQL Server Management Studio by using the query 'Select @@ServerName'. Use the results of this query to populated the instance parameter in the connection file.

Below is the step during the installation where the name is designated for the SQL Server

Here are some additional documents which can help explain instance names:

What is the difference between named and default instances in SQL Server?

@@SERVERNAME (Transact-SQL)

How do I find the MS SQL instance name on my Windows system?