ArcSDE Command Line

01-04-2016 10:49 PM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

How can I access/open/use the ArcSDE Command Line? I've installed ArcGIS 10.2.2, but I am not able to find the ArcSDE Command Line (Actually, I do not know what it is or from where I can open it).

Any suggestion about how I can access it?

Any help is appreciated

7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Hani,

The SDE Command line tools can be referenced by opening a command prompt (i.e. Start > type 'Command Prompt').  You can then execute sde commands (i.e. sdelayer -o register -l parcels).  However, the SDE Command line tools have been deprecated at 10.3.  The functionality has been migrated to Geoprocessing tools.  Any particular reason you need the SDE Command line tools?

HaniDraidi

Thanks for the helpful reply Jake,

I've created a spatial view, but I am not able to register it with the Geodatabase. May you please elaborate more how I can do this in 10.3. Also, What is the equivalent tool in Geoprocessing Tools?

Best,

Hani

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Hani,

Can you walk me through your workflow?  Are you creating a spatial view from a feature class?  If so, is the feature class stored with the geometry type GEOMETRY or GEOGRAPHY?

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Moreover Jake, With the 10.2.2 ArcGIS version, when I try to write this in CMD, I get the an error that says: "the command sde layer is not recognized"

Clip_20.jpg

0 Kudos
Pieter_Geertvan_den_Beukel
Esri Contributor

The SDE command line tools is a separate installation. You can download them from the MyEsri site by navigating to My Organization > Downloads > ArcGIS for Server Enterprise > View Downloads

HaniDraidi

Hi Pieter,

In the Downloads, I found the ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (Personal), I've downloaded it but still the CMD is not recognizing the commands.

Is this the targeted software? If not what should be the name?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

No, Personal and Workgroup geodatabases are only accessed through ArcObjects (Desktop/Server).

You need to download the "ArcSDE Command Line Tools" or the appropriate enterprise application server install to obtain command-line tools. You must obtain these from the 10.2.2 "ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (Windows)" media bundle at my.esri.com.

Cmdline.jpg