Arcmap 10.2 joins - Cardinality Warning

03-01-2015 02:38 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can anyone help explain what is going on in this situation please?

I have a feature class residing in an Enterprise Geo-Database where a particular field contains values that match to another table, when I join this feature class to a table, I would expect the attributes of the table to join onto each matched field in the feature class. However, attempting this join brings up the following warning. Continuing with the join tends to result in ArcMap hanging when I try to open the Attribute Table.

In case you're wondering, yes I have checked that all the ID's in the foreign table field are unique. Here's the strange bit though - if I export the feature class out to a File GeoDatabase or shape file and attempt the exact same join, it works perfectly as you would expect it to:

So the exact same data joins fine in one instance but not in another - what could be causing this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are the feature class(es) unversioned and/or in an archived feature class?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert

They are unversioned but DO have archive enabled.

Are you suggesting that perhaps ArcMap is picking up all the archived instances of each feature when it attempts it's join? That would certainly explain what is happening but surely would be a bug as you would expect Arcmap to be "aware" of archiving and only join the latest/active feature??

If this is the case, any idea what the workaround is to correctly join this feature class without working on an exported copy?

0 Kudos