ArcMap 10.2.2 Oracle 12c : Crash

12-27-2017 05:43 AM
MagalyClément-Zaber
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

Is it possible to connect to an Oracle Database 12c from ArcMap 10.2.2 ?

I tried and Arcmap closed without any error message.

Steps :
- Add database 12c addresse in the tnsnames.ora
- Arcmap > Gis Servers > Connect to my GIS server 10.2
- Server Properties > Datastore > Register Database 12c
- Ok => Arcmap closed

Thank you for help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Use this link for database system requirements

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5.x—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Oracle 12cR1 (12.1.0.1.x) support was added to ArcGIS at 10.2.1

Esri support for Oracle 12cR2 (12.2.0.1.x) wasn't added until a recent patch to ArcGIS 10.5.1. It's unlikely 10.2.2, which will be the oldest supported build of ArcGIS next week, will work with Oracle 12cR2.

If you're using a supported configuration, you'll need to provide all the critical details:

• Full version (12.1.a.b.c) of the Oracle Database server
  • Exact type and version and application bit width of the Oracle Client (or Instant Client) installed on your Desktop host
  • The exact contents of the PATH variable accessible by Desktop

- V

RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Magaly, 

As you are attempting to register the Oracle connection with Server as a registered data store you will also need to ensure that the machine where ArcGIS Server is installed has the ability to connect to the Oracle Database server / database as well. This will mean:

• Ensuring the 64 bit Oracle client is installed on the ArcGIS Server machine
  • The 64 bit Oracle client appears first in the PATH variable on the AGS Server machine. 
  • If Desktop is installed on the same machine where Server is running- attempt a connection from this machine through Catalog to see if connection is successful before trying to register. 
  • Take a look at the various implementation setups and suggestions here: Register an Oracle database with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MagalyClément-Zaber
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rex,

I tested on ArcGis Server. Client 64 bit Oracle is installed, appears first in the path.

With ArcCatalog I have this error :

Arccatalog

Thanks for help.

RexRobichaux2

Hello Magaly- thanks for the follow-up and screenshots. Can you provide the full Oracle version and information as Vince mentioned above? We need to ensure this is a compatible release from which to register. Do you have ArcGIS Desktop or better yet ArcGIS Pro installed on the ArcGIS Server machine? If so can you connect via database connection from Pro or Desktop to the Oracle database (take server out of the equation)? 

0 Kudos
MagalyClément-Zaber
Occasional Contributor

Hello.

Oracle 12c R1 (64 bits) 12.1.0.2

No I don't have ArcGis Pro installer on the ArcGIS Server Machine.

I contacted the support. It may be user rigths into Oracle.

When we put the rights "dba" it works.

As it was a temporary solution before migration, we stop searching and will choose another solution. Thanks for the help.

PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor
  • try to debug if any connectivity problem exist.
  • Also see the windows event viewer if any error exist.
  • an another option is enable SDE tracing 

FAQ: How do you turn on verbose logging when connecting to an enterprise geodatabase? | Esri Austral... 

How To: Diagnose ArcSDE connection and performance issues using SDEINTERCEPT 

RexRobichaux2

Magaly, 

Ultimately, it looks like this might come down to version incompatibility. It appears you are trying to connect / register using ArcMap 10.2.2 to a 12.1.0.2 Oracle geodatabase. Unfortunately, the highest supported version of Oracle at 10.2.2 was 12.1.0.1 as can be found here: System Requirements 

The first version to support 12.1.0.2 Oracle connectivity would be 10.4 - so if possible you could attempt upgrading your Desktop / Server or downgrade Oracle to 12.1.0.1 and re-test. Hopefully, this is helpful!

Kind regards,

Rex