ArcGIS: Maintaining Data Integrity With Access and Other External Sources

02-02-2018 09:53 AM
DanielWalters
New Contributor

I sometimes need to deal with large and complex Access databases and other external sources (excel spreadsheets and the like) that contain data I need to cross reference with feature classes and shapefiles I have in ArcGIS. Ideally, I would like to be able to operate with data in ArcGIS the way I can in Access (querying between datasets, updating referenced information in one location rather then several, etc.) I know geodatabases with in advanced license allow for that sort of functionality within the geodatabase, and the description for the data interoperability extension says you can import directly from sources like Access.

My question is, however, is there a particular extension or set of tools that allows you to essentially link information (using table relationships or other methodology) between a geodatabase and an Access database (or other external information source) so that a change made to the data in ArcGIS will be reflected in Access, and vice versa. Right now I end up juggling a bunch of customized python codes and other methods that are cumbersome and time consuming to update, so I’m keen to know if a clean tool for this kind of work already exists. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

I am not aware of external database links that you can set up between an enterprise and a personal geodatabase.  If you are able to get the Access data and enterprise data to the same state, then a personal or file geodatabase can be used as the target for a checkout or one-way replica.

Replicas and geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The replica will link the data in the two databases using globalid values in the data (part of the workflow to prep your data for replication).  Once created, you can edit in the enterprise database and then sync those changes down to the access database.  You will only be able to use check out replication or one way parent to child replication, where the parent is an enterprise geodatabase.  

0 Kudos