Accessing zipped feature classes

08-26-2019 02:13 PM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have zipped up some feature classes in order to email them but now that they are zipped up how can you extract them to feature classes so the user can use them?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I get how to do that. I can be a little more specific in the question I have.

Now that I have extracted the files from my zipped file, how do I import the encrypted geodatabase files and index files into an empty file geodatabase?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can right click the file geodatabase and hit import. Then select the data to import.

What do you mean by "encrypted geodatabase files'?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

the gdbindex, gdbtable, gdbtablx, etc. files.

I have have never emailed a zipped up feature class before. I have zipped it up but when you click on it in Windows Explorer you get all these table files and index files. How can you convert those files back to a feature class so I can import them back into a file geodatabase.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

You need to use the ArcGIS tools to get those files into the file geodatabase correctly.

Here is some details on how the overall process looks: Copy feature datasets, feature classes, and tables to a geodatabase—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can look at this tool; Feature Class to Feature Class—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

How did you originally zip up the feature classes? They exist within a folder that represents a geodatabase with the general files. If you zipped all the files within a geodatabase folder, extract them all and make sure the folder name matches the old geodatabase. If you zipped only certain files within the geodatabase folder...you may be out of luck.

Melita

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I zipped up every file within the .gdb file in Windows Explorer.

I was able to talk to someone yesterday who told me you have to include the .gdb file in the zipped file for  it to work, which I didn't

Scott

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

You cannot "touch" the contents in side the "whatevername.gdb" folder. You have to zip/unzip at the top folder level.

You may want to contact Esri Technical Support to have them help you this process.

--- George T.
0 Kudos