Majority line segment characteristic extraction

01-04-2017 12:29 PM
Labels (1)
DavidWavrin1
New Contributor

I have a series of natural gas service lines with three variables – pipe size, pipe material and decade of installation.  The beginning and endpoint of the line are the tee and meter respectively.  There can be anywhere from one to as many as five different variations per service line of the size, material and installation decade from the tee to the meter.

In order to complete a report, I need to determine which is the predominant segment of pipe of each service line.  In other words, if there happens to be two segments of a 100’ service line between the tee and the meter with different characteristics, segment A is 52’ in length and segment B is 48’, segment A becomes the predominant segment because if its majority length.  Characteristics of segment A are submitted for that service line in the report.

We have close to 10,000 service lines in our system and this report is submitted annually.  I am looking of a way to report this information relatively fast with consistency and accuracy.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some preliminary questions to help get a better understanding of the issue and what resources are available on your end:

• Are you using a Geometric Network,  a specialized geodatabase (like one of the ESRI utility specific solutions), or a standard line feature class(es).
  • What software are you using and what version?

A preliminary suggestion:

• The first thing that comes to mind is to use the Summary Statistics tool based on an ID that represents the segments between the tee and meter.  Specifically, when running the tool, the Case Field would be the field that represents this line ID,  After you get the results, one could manually calculate the percentages of each component, find the highest percentage for each line to then derive the predominant segment type. You'll have to play around with the settings to find the combination that matches your data and desired output, but I believe this will get you most if not all the way unless you have a specialized database (see above questions)  Summary Statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DavidWavrin1
New Contributor

Chris,

Thanks for responding to my question. I will take a look at Summary Statistics per your preliminary suggestion. Per you preliminary questions, I am using a line feature class in preparing this report. We do have a geometric network in place for our gas utility although I have not personally worked with it too much up to this point.

For software, I am using Desktop 10.4.1. I will let you know if I have any success with the Summary Statistics.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
DavidWavrin1
New Contributor

Chris,

Your suggestions using Summary Statistics did the trick!.  I first dissolved the lines into one continuous line segment. I then used Spatial Join to join the segmented service lines to the dissolved lines.  This process created a FID for each of the segments withing the continuous service lone.  From here Summary Statistics was used with the FID being the CaseField.  For the statistics I used the three fields of interest for the report, using the statistic "First" for each.  From here I can simply query the categories that I'm interested in, knowing that i have narrowed my lines down to unique features.

Thanks again for your suggestion.  It got me on the right track.

Dave

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Glad to be of help.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos