How to prevent pixelation

Jump to solution
07-11-2018 11:01 AM
Labels (3)
ZachSchenk
New Contributor III

Hello everyone.

I have a strange problem that I've never seen before, and I'm hoping it's an easy fix that someone can provide. I've poked around and can't find anyone else with the same questions.

I have a very detailed polygon layer detailing the soil types of a massive area (half of Ontario). The resolution is quite good, although it does take some time to generate. What is frustrating is that, after moving the file around, or zooming in, etc. The file is created in high definition, BUT THEN REVERTS BACK TO A HEAVILY PIXELATED FORMAT. I'm assuming this has something to do with the Raster Data, but not having worked with anything like this before I'm very uncertain. I've tried going into the Layer Properties>Display and changing the "Resample during display using:" section, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help is appreciated. See the pictures below to see how its initially drawn and what it looks like moments after.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

That is an older laptop video card.  Its memory configuration could be a large part of what your issue is. It indicates 4.8 GB of available memory  but only 1 GB is dedicated to the card. The memory is being shared with your computers onboard memory.

What is probably happening is when you bring up the raster the card is taking control of the available Shared Memory. then when the raster is drawn the rest of the system requires the memory and is being released for processing.

Judging by the age of the card I would guess there is nothing you can do to upgrade it. 

The fix is actually very simple and easy. You need a new computer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RockRunEnterprises
Occasional Contributor

Just a quick guess, but it could very well be a hardware/GPU/memory issue.

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

My first thought also.  What are your hardware specs?

ZachSchenk
New Contributor III

8 GB RAM - Intel Core i7. 500GB hard drive that has 200GB Free

Windows 7

Looking more into it, I think I may have poor graphics capabilities. Although it would be strange if this was the problem, as it is completely clear for a moment.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

What is your graphics card?

There are a number of factors that will and an affect on graphics.  The GPU is typically the biggest factor.

If your trying to draw the raster through a network that may also be part of it. Try putting it on your C: drive and try it.

However, there are a number of basic computer practices that have an affect.

You should also defragment your HDD and Run Disk Clean up on a regular basis. 

Also clear the history and cookies of your web browsers.

Occasionally run Error Checking on your HDD

Restart your machine

Having a lot of add on's running for a browser like IE also decrease performance.  Go into Advanced Settings for IE and reset IE.  This will remove add on's. But you may want to consult with your IT department first.

ZachSchenk
New Contributor III

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 7570M. No idea what that means. Maybe this will help, see below.

Most of the other things you mentioned have been done, although I'll try cleaning up my hard drive and clearing history and cookies.

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

That is an older laptop video card.  Its memory configuration could be a large part of what your issue is. It indicates 4.8 GB of available memory  but only 1 GB is dedicated to the card. The memory is being shared with your computers onboard memory.

What is probably happening is when you bring up the raster the card is taking control of the available Shared Memory. then when the raster is drawn the rest of the system requires the memory and is being released for processing.

Judging by the age of the card I would guess there is nothing you can do to upgrade it. 

The fix is actually very simple and easy. You need a new computer.