Select to view content in your preferred language

From University Classrooms to Geospatial Innovations: My Journey in GIS

07-29-2024 09:52 AM
HajarAlqayoudhi
Occasional Contributor

My journey into the world of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) began during my university days, where I first discovered the power and potential of spatial data. As a GIS student, I developed a passion for understanding and visualizing complex spatial relationships, which laid the foundation for my future career.

Upon graduating, I immediately dove into the professional world as a GIS Analyst. My initial experiences involved working on contracts with companies across various industries, starting with the electricity sector and transitioning to the oil and gas industry. Each project presented unique challenges and learning opportunities, from conducting network analyses to converting vast amounts of data into actionable insights.

Over time, my expertise expanded to include mobile applications and 3D applications, allowing me to explore new dimensions of spatial analysis and visualization. My role evolved as I began focusing on large-scale projects that incorporated cutting-edge technologies such as deep learning and digital transformation.

Currently, as a GIS Solution and Product Analyst, I am at the forefront of integrating these advanced technologies to drive innovation and efficiency. My dedication to the field extends beyond my professional responsibilities; I actively participate in community competitions and initiatives, using GIS tools to address pressing issues like climate change.

Throughout my career, I have remained committed to raising awareness about the value of GIS technology and helping my colleagues navigate this ever-evolving field. My journey has been fueled by a relentless desire to learn, innovate, and share knowledge, and I am eager to collaborate with others to make a positive impact through geospatial technology.

Let's make a positive impact together!

Best regards,
Hajar Alqayoudhi 

Tags (1)
8 Replies
AngieMartinez
Emerging Contributor

How inspiring! I'm currently working on building a portfolio, to help recruiters gauge my skills. Do you have any advice for navigating the professional industry as an entry level professional?

I'd also love to connect! I've sent an invite on LinkedIn. 

Sincerely,

Angie Martinez

HajarAlqayoudhi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Angie, 

Thank you for reaching out! I'm glad to hear you're working on building your GIS portfolio, 

To build a strong GIS portfolio, include diverse projects showcasing skills like spatial analysis, cartography, and data visualization. Provide detailed descriptions of each project, your role, tools used, and outcomes. Use high-quality visuals like maps and charts. Highlight technical skills with GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS), programming languages (e.g., Python, R), and relevant tools (e.g., SQL, PostGIS). Demonstrate real-world applications in various industries. Create an accessible online portfolio on platforms like ArcGIS story Map or a personal website, with detailed documentation and user-friendly design. Regularly update your portfolio with new projects, and include personal or academic projects if professional experience is limited.

I'd be happy to connect with you on LinkedIn and continue this conversation. Best of luck with your portfolio and job search!

Enjoy, 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Ekpereamaka_Juliet_Ibenegbu
Occasional Contributor

Amazing story Hajar, I’m proud of you and your story, keep pushing forward and know that the sky is just your starting point. 

HajarAlqayoudhi
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much, Ekpereamaka!

Your words truly mean a lot to me. I'm grateful for your support and encouragement. Let's both keep pushing forward and reaching for the stars. The sky's the limit for both of us! Let's stay connected and support each other along the way.

Best regards,
Hajar

KhrisGonzalezPebe
Emerging Contributor

As a current GIS student, your story is so inspiring! Keep up the incredible work, and thank you for sharing your experiences - it’s a powerful reminder of the transformative potential of GIS in climate change and other relevant issues 😊

HajarAlqayoudhi
Occasional Contributor

Thank you  @KhrisGonzalezPebe so much for your kind words! I'm glad to hear that my story resonates with you. GIS truly has the power to make a difference in tackling challenges like climate change, and it's exciting to see students like you getting involved. Keep up the great work in your studies—you're the future of this field, and I can't wait to see the impact you'll make! 😊

0 Kudos
MeetMerchant
Esri Contributor

Hi @HajarAlqayoudhi , so interesting to know about journey and career, nice to meet you!

0 Kudos
JohnDoherty1995
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for sharing your inspiring journey, Hajar! It's incredible to see how your passion for GIS has driven your career growth and innovation, especially in integrating advanced technologies like deep learning and digital transformation. Your dedication to using GIS for addressing global challenges, like climate change, is truly commendable. I look forward to seeing the continued impact of your work and learning from your experiences. Let’s continue to push the boundaries of what GIS can achieve!

Best, 

John Doherty

0 Kudos