Select to view content in your preferred language

What is it like to be a young professional in technology?

08-22-2023 08:50 AM
bbollin
Esri Contributor
3 0 577

My name is Bekah Bollin, and I am a Product Engineer for the ArcGIS Online team. Since starting my position at Esri over a year ago, I have transitioned from a GIS user familiar with Esri software to helping build it. In this blog I’ll share a bit about what it like to work in technology, some of the challenges we face, and a few tips to overcome these obstacles.

Working with the team

I think we can all agree that the workforce has been forever changed by the COVID-19 pandemic. All industries are still facing new and unexpected challenges in the midst of remote work, and this is particularly relevant to the technology industry. ArcGIS Online has a diverse team that is made up of fully remote or hybrid (mix of in-office and remote) employees in different offices, time zones, and countries. Blending all these perspectives is part of what makes our products so rich and comprehensive, however it does require some extra coordination across the team. For instance, some of the projects I have collaborated on include coworkers overseas. With a 6+ hour time difference simply putting a meeting on the calendar can be its own little uphill battle. To coordinate with my coworkers schedules, I try to put meetings on the calendar a few weeks ahead of time and communicate over email and chats whenever possible.

In addition to the logistical difficulties of remote work, it can also be challenging to get to know your team. As a fully remote new hire, I experienced this initial disconnect. One of the things my team did to help with the virtual barrier was set up a recurring “coffee hour” meeting where we chatted about our days. I also made an effort to partner with my coworkers on different projects to learn what they work on. Being more deliberate about reaching out to your coworkers and seizing in person opportunities at conferences or meetings is a great way to form connections with the team.

The ArcGIS Online team at the 2023 Esri User Conference.The ArcGIS Online team at the 2023 Esri User Conference.

Creating the software

Unlike other products at ESRI, ArcGIS Online updates around three times a year. When you think about it, that is a lot! Each update requires the team to design, build, and test all new features before making them available to users. This schedule is fast paced and involves a healthy balance of planning and implementation. It also requires teams to discern what is feasible to work on it just a few months’ time (in other words, don’t bite off more than you can chew). For example, when working on a new feature we may need to reduce the scope of a project to ensure we can meet tight deadlines. Other times we may need to make the difficult decision to postpone it altogether to allow for more time to receive feedback, make changes, and test.

In addition to having good time management skills, we also need to be able to communicate with teams outside of our primary area. Often times a project will have a variety of stakeholders with different backgrounds and varying levels of technical knowledge. Distilling important concepts and updates for interested parties is essential in making sure a project runs smoothly. This provides an opportunity to not only share progress with outside teams, but also receive feedback on the project. After all, being able to explain your work is just as important as doing it.

It is important to be able to communicate effectively with a diverse audience. (Thankfully Samson here doesn’t have to worry about that too much…)It is important to be able to communicate effectively with a diverse audience. (Thankfully Samson here doesn’t have to worry about that too much…)

Overcoming obstacles

So now that you have a good idea of some of the common themes and challenges when working in technology, let’s go over a few strategies you can implement to overcome these obstacles. 

1) Leverage your time effectively, but don’t forget to take breaks

One of the benefits of working with in a diverse remote workforce is the vast range in working hours. For example, I typically have a few hours in the morning before my pacific time-zone based colleagues sign on and the meetings begin in earnest. I like to use down time in the morning to work on individual tasks so I can maximize time with my team later in the day.

While it is important to optimize your time at work, it is equally important to carve out breaks. Sometimes working at home can offer fewer opportunities to step away from your desk. Make sure that you know when you need talk a walk, grab a coffee, or simply clear you head for a few minutes.

2) Use a task tracking or time management tool

I use a variety of different tools to help stay on track and manage my time effectively. One of these tools is Microsoft To-Do, where you can build out checklists of planned and upcoming tasks. I like to add small tasks that I am planning for the day as well as larger, project related tasks. Everyone has their own favorite organizational tools, so find one that you like and will hold you accountable.

3) Know your audience

When presenting to a group, make sure you have a good understanding of who you are talking to. Is the audience familiar with the topic already, or is this new information? Do they have a technical background, or will you need to explain some of the concepts? Tailoring the conversation to your audience will help reduce confusion and drive better collaboration.

4. Don’t let online environments slow you down

Although not every job is remote or hybrid, there is a good chance you will have some interaction with colleagues online. If you have a heavily remote based role like I do, make sure that you put in the time to connect with team members virtually. When possible, also try to leverage in person experiences such as conferences, trainings, and seminars.

Wrap up

We’ve covered a lot of ground on what it is like to work in a technology-based space, some of the challenges we encounter and a few tactics to mitigate them. Many of these challenges aren’t unique to our team as we are all still learning how to create collaborative and inclusive virtual spaces in the workplace. Whether you work in the technology industry or another field, try implementing some of these strategies and see what works for you 😊

PS: Want to know more about my role and responsibilities? Check out this blog on My role at Esri as a Product Engineer.