Take Your Career to the Next Level at the 2024 AAG Annual Meeting

02-28-2024 07:00 AM
MarkRevell
New Contributor III
12 4 1,004

This April, the American Association of Geographers (AAG) will hold its 2024 Annual Meeting in Honolulu, HI. A convening of over 5,000 geographers and geospatial professionals from academia, government and industry, this conference features a curated track of over 60 Careers & Professional Development panel sessions, workshops, networking events and other activities catered specifically to students and young professionals.

“The AAG conference provides students with a platform to share and present ideas while building meaningful connections through networking opportunities. This pathway to success through connections was instrumental in launching my career in GIS,” says Samuel Akinnusi, who attended last year’s AAG in Denver, CO as a student volunteer, before landing a job at Esri in December 2023.

Not able to travel to Hawaii? The AAG offers a hybrid conference format with many options for virtual participation and reduced rates for student attendees. Below is just a small sample of sessions and events that will take place at the conference. To view the full schedule, visit: 2024 AAG Annual Meeting - AAG.

2023 AAG Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado2023 AAG Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado

Careers & Professional Development Center

Located on the Third Floor of the Hawaii Convention Center, the Careers & Professional Development Center is a central hub within the conference venue featuring over 60 panel sessions, workshops and networking events related to careers and professional development for geographers. A great opportunity for students and young professionals to meet, interact, network, and learn about geospatial careers opportunities.

Career Mentoring

The AAG conference will feature three in-person and three virtual career mentoring sessions. These sessions offer a unique opportunity to engage with and expand your network of geospatial pros!

Career Mentoring I: Government and Nonprofit Career Paths

Tuesday, April 16th ǀ 9:00 – 10:20 am ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Mentors:

• Kyle Titlow, U.S. Department of Transportation
  • Natasha Rivers, BECU
  • Maurice McHugh, NOAA
  • Arvind Bhuta, U.S. Forest Service
  • Austen Lorenz, U.S. Geological Survey
  • Angel Perez, U.S. Geological Survey
  • Heidi Crawford, U.S. Census Bureau
  • Catherine dL. Tan, Cambridge University
  • Joshua Comenetz, U.S. Census Bureau
  • Shaun Williams, Center for Naval Analyses

Career Mentoring II: Private Sector Career Paths

Wednesday, April 17th ǀ 9:00 – 10:20 am ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Mentors:

• Kyle DeGraw, AED Aero
  • Joseph Kerski, Esri
  • Rudy Banerjee, IUPUI
  • Jay Sandhu, Esri
  • Sarah Battersby, Esri

Career Mentoring III: Academic Career Paths

Friday, April 19th ǀ 9:00 – 10:20 am ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Mentors:

• Debarchana Ghosh, University of Connecticut
  • Paul McDaniel, Kennesaw State University
  • Yolonda Youngs, California State University, San Bernardino
  • Wei Li, Arizona State University
  • Mario Mighty, University of North Alabama
  • Abel Polese, Dublin City University

Virtual Career Mentoring I

Wednesday, April 17th ǀ 7:20 – 8:40 am ǀ Virtual

Mentors:

• Kyle DeGraw, AED Aero
  • Liora Sahar, American Cancer Society
  • Jennifer Cook, Louisiana State University
  • David Arfa, Cook County, Illinois
  • Stephanie Deitrick, Arizona State University

Virtual Career Mentoring II

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 7:20 – 8:40 am ǀ Virtual

Mentors:

• Brian Baldwin, Esri
  • Sunita Yadav-Pauletti, U.S. Department of Agriculture
  • Liora Sahar, American Cancer Society
  • Shaun William, Center for Naval Analyses

Virtual Career Mentoring III

Friday, April 19th ǀ 7:20 – 8:40 am ǀ Virtual

Mentors:

• Sunita Yadav-Pauletti, U.S. Department of Agriculture
  • Lisa Douangchai Wills, American Cancer Society

Featured Career Panels

The AAG’s Careers & Professional Development Center track features nearly 30 panel sessions covering a wide range of career topics relevant to students and young professionals. 

Now Hiring II: Government, Industry, and Nonprofit Career Paths for Geographers

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 1:20 – 2:40 pm ǀ 313A (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Speakers:

• Maurice McHugh, NOAA
  • Kyle Titlow, U.S. Department of Transportation
  • John Cromartie, U.S. Department of Agriculture
  • Brian Baldwin, Esri
  • Arvind Bhuta, U.S. Forest Service
  • Delta Merner, Union of Concerned Scientists

Earth Science Opportunities & Resources at NASA

Tuesday, April 16th ǀ 1:20 – 2:40 pm ǀ 313A (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Speakers:

• Cyndi Hall, NASA Early Career Research Program
  • Amanda Clayton, NASA DEVELOP National Program
  • Lauren Childs-Gleason, NASA Langley Research Center
  • Laramie Plott, NASA DEVELOP National Program

Featured Professional Development Workshops

Topics include developing strong job interview skills, resume & cover letter writing, public speaking, career planning, D.E.I. in the geospatial workforce, and more.

Mapping Your Career Pathway in Geography and Geospatial Technologies

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 10:40 – 12:00 pm ǀ 313C (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

• Instructor: Joseph Kerski, Esri

Communicating the Value of Geography to Potential Employers

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 10:40 – 12:00 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

• Instructor: Joy Adams-O’Brien, Elevated Learning Design

Tips and Tricks for Developing Strong Interview Skills

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 1:20 – 2:40 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

First Impressions: Showcasing Your Geography Skills in Resumes and Cover Letters

Wednesday, April 17th ǀ 1:20 – 2:40 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

From Least Desired to Multiple Hires: Turning Challenged Interview Candidates into Professionals with Options

Tuesday, April 16th ǀ 9:00 – 10:20 am ǀ 313A (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

• Instructor: Keith Searles, EDGE/Urban GIS

Methodologies, Cheat Codes, and Advantages of Building a Diverse Personal Network

Wednesday, April 17th ǀ 1:20 – 2:40 pm ǀ 313A (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

• Instructor: Keith Searles, EDGE/Urban GIS

How to Present at a Conference with Ease and Intention

Tuesday, April 16th ǀ 9:00 – 10:20 am ǀ Virtual

• Instructor: Niem Huynh, Concordia University

GISP Certification Workshops

Interested in learning more about the GISP certification process, or preparing for the GISP exam? Organized by the GIS Certification Institute (GISCI), attending the sessions below provides several ways to earn necessary points for the “Contributions to the Profession” and “Education” components of becoming a GISP.

The Pathway to Professionalism: Becoming a Geospatial Professional (Opportunity I)

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 9:00 – 10:20 am ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

• Instructor: Tony Spicci, GIS Certification Institute

The Pathway to Professionalism: Becoming a Geospatial Professional (Opportunity II)

Friday, April 19th ǀ 10:40 – 12:00 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

The Pre-GISP Exam (Opportunity I)

Tuesday, April 16th ǀ 10:40 – 12:00 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

The Pre-GISP Exam (Opportunity II)

Wednesday, April 17th ǀ 10:40 – 12:00 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

The Pre-GISP Exam (Opportunity III)

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 7:20 – 8:40 am ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

The Pre-GISP Exam (Opportunity IV)

Friday, April 19th ǀ 1:20 – 2:40 pm ǀ 313B (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Esri YPN Sessions and Events

Organized by Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN) staff, the sessions below are a great way to learn about how GIS is used in the modern workforce and leadership opportunities within the field.

Esri YPN Presents: Advocating for the Use of Modern GIS in the Workplace

Tuesday, April 16th ǀ 3:00 – 4:20 pm ǀ 313A (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Speakers:

• Brian Baldwin, Esri
  • Karen Dixon, MPO in Harrisburg, PA
  • Narcisa Pricope, Mississippi State University

Esri YPN Presents: Strategies to Develop GIS Leaders

Wednesday, April 17th ǀ 3:00 – 4:20 pm ǀ 313A (O`ahu), Third Floor, Hawai'i Convention Center

Speakers:

• Narcisa Pricope, Mississippi State University
  • Dapeng Li, University of Alabama
  • Hamed Alemohammad, Clark University
  • Michelle Kinzer, Esri

Esri YPN Networking Reception 

Thursday, April 18th ǀ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm | Palace Lounge @ Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki

More details on the networking reception

Esri YPN Networking Reception at AAG, 2023Esri YPN Networking Reception at AAG, 2023

Visit the AAG sessions gallery to view the entire list of panels, sessions, and workshops.

To learn more about the AAG 2024 Annual Meeting and to register, visit: 2024 AAG Annual Meeting - AAG

To become an AAG member, visit: Membership - AAG

4 Comments