Select to view content in your preferred language

Mapping Dreams and Forging Connections: My FedGIS Student Assistant Experience

09-25-2023 08:09 AM
ChimaOkoli
New Contributor II
3 0 1,002

As a student, I was eager to get out and make connections to further my network and possible career trajectory, so I came across an opportunity to volunteer at a conference. My name is Chima Okoli, an MS Candidate at North Carolina Central University, and this article outlines my experience as a student assistant at Esri’s Federal GIS Conference.

ChimaOkoli_11-1695407075717.jpeg

Figure 1. Some FedGIS 2023 student assistants

Before this experience, I had interned as a student assistant at the Esri User Conference (UC) in San Diego (undoubtedly the largest GIS conference in the world). Working alongside a staff managing over 15,000 attendees was staggering and intriguing. I left the city looking forward to another opportunity.

The opportunity came and that was the Federal GIS conference (FedGIS). The conference was not just a mere event but an immersive experience that transformed my perspective, introduced me to industry pioneers, and left me with lasting friendships.

Here's the story of my adventure—a tale meant to inspire students to seize the opportunity to be a student assistant at upcoming Esri conferences like FedGIS, Developers Summit, and/or Esri UC.

ChimaOkoli_12-1695407075724.jpeg

Figure 2. Student Assistants' time out with Jack Dangermond

How It All Began

While attending the South Eastern Division of the American Association of Geographers (SEDAAG) with my academic advisor and colleagues, I met an ESRI staff member at the ESRI booth and decided to talk about my current work on “Spatio-temporal analysis of COVID-19 across counties in North Carolina” and how I had implemented GIS technology in the study. She was very impressed with the work and spoke to me about interning at the Federal GIS conference. I applied to be a student assistant and months later, that single bold step to network yielded an offer to come over to Washington DC as a student assistant at the FedGIS conference. This is a great example of how attending conferences as a student can lead to career growth opportunities.

ChimaOkoli_13-1695407075730.jpegChimaOkoli_14-1695407075735.jpeg

Figure 3. With a colleague, Samuel at SEDAAG where we met Terri Bliss (ESRI)

Navigating the Maze

Arriving in DC, I was met with an overwhelming number of people, mostly government employees, federal government agencies, security operatives, and lots of high-profile personnel. The conference was a maze of intelligence-related solutions, ideas, and inspiration. As a student assistant, I had to balance the demands of my schedule; people management, registration duties, recording attendance in tech workshops alongside attending sessions I looked forward to.

The opening plenary was electrifying with Jack Dangermond (ESRI’s Founder and President) talking about new products, updates, technologies to anticipate, and discussions with the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). It wasn’t just about maps, data, and infrastructure; it was about solving real-world problems. Government agencies had the opportunity to share stories of how GIS was revolutionizing their work. Some of these agencies cut across healthcare, defense and intelligence, public administration, disaster response, and law enforcement.

ChimaOkoli_15-1695407075741.jpegChimaOkoli_16-1695407075752.jpeg

Figure 4. A photo with some student assistants upon arrival at the FedGIS conference

A Tapestry of Connections

Being in the same room with government representatives, from the Department of Defense to the Department of State, was an amazing opportunity to network. These institutions are at the forefront of leveraging GIS for the public good. Engaging in conversations with industry experts who are using GIS to address real-world challenges was very insightful. I could see beyond my horizon how much GIS could impact our world.

ChimaOkoli_17-1695407075760.jpegChimaOkoli_18-1695407075767.jpeg

Figure 5. (A) Hanging out with colleagues (B) Photo with Jack and a friend during the dinner

But the conference wasn’t just about the GIS ‘big actors’; it was about the people; the students like me who were eager to learn and grow.

One of my biggest takeaways from the conference was the plethora of connections and friendships made that transcended borders and colleges. I had the opportunity to work with emerging young professionals blazing the trail in their various GIS fields. We exchanged ideas, shared our dreams, ate together, explored the city, and kept in contact even after DC.

The Dreams We Carry (and Mapping Them)

I left the conference with a commitment to contribute to an enduring and sustainable planet; to use GIS technology to enhance human life, and to collaborate with my FedGIS friends in their respective endeavors as we strive to be good caretakers of the earth.

As I reflect on my FedGIS journey, I am grateful for the experiences that shaped me. I have been able to implement most ideas I gathered at the conference in my academic thesis and projects for government agencies.

ChimaOkoli_19-1695407075774.jpegChimaOkoli_20-1695407075785.jpegChimaOkoli_21-1695407075797.jpeg

Figure 6 (L-R). (A) With a fellow Student Assistant during departure (B) With some Student Assistants at the dinner (C) Instructing an Environmental Science lab session at North Carolina Central University

With the FedGIS conference approaching in February, I know that more stories, more connections, and more dreams await. Therefore, I wish to extend an invitation for students to apply to be a student assistant just as I did.

Embrace the opportunity, embark on the journey, unlock the world of GIS, and map your dreams.

Your chapter in the GIS story awaits!