Select to view content in your preferred language

First-Timer's Adventure: Navigating the Esri User Conference as a Student Assistant

10-09-2023 12:49 PM
SamuelAkinnusi
New Contributor III
8 0 1,251

A wide-eyed explorer prepares for a great adventure at the Esri User Conference (UC) and is met with exhilaration and anticipation. My name is Samuel Akinnusi, and this article is about my journey and experience as a first-time student assistant at the 2023 Esri UC. This was my first time attending Esri UC and being a student assistant with others who, like me, are navigating the maze of early career excitement.

Esri UC expected to welcome over 20,000 registered attendees; the prospect of what lay ahead was thrilling and humbling. While I had previously attended a handful of conferences, none matched the magnitude of this conference. The weight of responsibility as a student assistant of this magnitude sparked a twinge of uncertainty, yet beneath it all, I held confidence that I would succeed through it, considering that I had developed a few tricks and strategies from previous conferences.

With plenty of knowledge to gain and a plethora of opportunities to embrace, I flew down to San Diego with the hope of having a wonderful conference experience.

IMG-4631.jpgCaption: Student Assistants at the UC Map Gallery

My Highlights as a Student Assistant

Meeting fellow student assistants and Esri staff on the first day was like navigating a social maze, but it didn't take long to realize that we were all part of something significant. If you're anything like me, the initial moments can be overwhelming. Shyness might tempt you to keep to yourself, unsure whether to extend that first greeting.

This feeling didn’t last long as some of us decided to go see a baseball game in an effort to connect with one another, which helped people to ease off and mingle with each other before we embarked on the journey that brought us together at the time. As the ice began to thaw, a sense of camaraderie enveloped our cohort.

We were introduced to the various responsibilities that awaited us throughout the conference. From attendee registration to the meticulous monitoring of technical sessions, from ensuring the seamless flow of conference logistics to assisting in the Esri Store merchandise sale, each task presents its challenges yet a rewarding experience. Balancing the demands of multiple tasks in such a fast-paced environment could be stressful, especially for someone like me who values precision. Sometimes, you would be required to adapt quickly to changes in schedules, and sometimes, you can get released early from your duties depending on your task type. All these challenges and rare luck are what make the experience enjoyable.

The true highlights of my student assistantship experience weren't just the tasks themselves but the connections I made along the way. Interacting with attendees was something I ensured I did a lot while on duty. I decided to be myself and be receptive to diverse perspectives, and this helped me meet a lot of people. These interactions were opportunities to engage, learn, and inspire.

SamuelAkinnusi_0-1695068913654.jpeg SamuelAkinnusi_2-1695068913667.jpeg SamuelAkinnusi_1-1695068913660.jpeg

Caption: Helping with Attendee registration with my wingman Emily & assisting in the Esri Store merchandise sale

Attending Sessions and Learning

The learning started from the Plenary session that always opened the user conference. It's the moment when thousands of practitioners and experts gather, drawn like moths to a flame, to hear from the visionary behind the ubiquitous technology of ArcGIS. Jack Dangermond's welcome address electrified the room, setting the tone for a conference brimming with promise and boundless expectations. Coming out of the Plenary session with so much motivation, I was determined to make the most of this extraordinary gathering, but I knew I had to approach the rest of the conference with strategy.

SamuelAkinnusi_3-1695069338645.jpegCaption: Samuel and fellow Student Assistants at the plenary session

With an all-access card as a student assistant, granting me access to almost all the learning sessions, I approached the conference agenda like a cartographer plotting a course. Every session selection was a careful balance of interest and availability, considering my concurrent duties as a student assistant. Some Spatial Analysis skills learned from these sessions were even used in a project I completed after the conference.

At the Expo Hall is a buzz of innovation and cutting-edge technology from diverse companies utilizing GIS in one way or another. In a rare chance to engage with experts, I and a few friends patrolled the hall to ask probing questions and gained a new understanding of some new Esri software. I also seized the opportunity of the career and resume review booths at the Expo Hall to review my credentials and get relevant advice from the Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN) for career progression as a young and emerging GIS professional.

Another exciting session was the map gallery: the “Mappiest” place on Earth, as they say. There was a plethora of innovative and aesthetically appealing maps I admired at this beautiful session. Fortuitously, I encountered Jack for the first time at the map gallery.

IMG-3268_new.jpg IMG-3328_new.jpg IMG-3311_new.jpg

Caption. Reconnecting with Rosemary and Marcus from Esri YPN & Patrolling the Expo Hall with my new friends to learn from experts

Socializing and Networking

My stint as a student assistant at Esri UC is a testament to my networking effort. I cannot overemphasize the power of networking at conferences. To me, a conference isn't truly complete without expanding my network or reconnecting with familiar faces. Evening socials were a potent strategy for this, and Esri UC offered a rich number of such events.

During the introductory meeting of student assistants with Esri staff, we received valuable intel on which socials were particularly important, including the Esri YPN socials. One of the perks of being an SA was the opportunity to meet Jack Dangermond in person during the Esri YPN evening social. He gave a short speech and thanked us for our commitment as a student assistant and ensured that what we are doing is valuable to the greater GIS community.

SamuelAkinnusi_7-1695070322668.jpegCaption: A group picture of Student Assistants with Jack Dangermond

I've always believed there's no "perfect" moment to network; instead, it's about seizing opportunities as they arise. Beyond the organized social events, I sought connections during various moments of the conference. Whether engaging with colleagues while fulfilling my student assistant duties, posing questions to presenters after technical sessions, or striking up conversations while touring the bustling expo halls and map gallery, I recognized that networking was not confined to a specific time or place.

In essence, my approach to networking at Esri UC was not about finding the perfect moment but about embracing the opportunities that unfolded organically.

SamuelAkinnusi_8-1695070419615.jpeg SamuelAkinnusi_9-1695070419653.jpeg

SamuelAkinnusi_10-1695070419695.jpeg IMG-3877new.jpg

Caption: Socializing with fellow SA, Connecting with attendees while on duty & Reconnecting with my heroes Lauren and Flora

Exploring San Diego city

I am not much of an explorer, but when the opportunity to explore sunny and vibrant San Diego arose, I couldn't resist. The adventure kicked off right after landing as a group of fellow student assistants planned to visit a local baseball game just a stone's throw from the convention center. There I was, cheering for a team I barely knew, bonding with new friends, and savoring the quintessential ballpark experience.

Other times, after a long day working at the convention center, the chance to relax and enjoy nice cuisine became tempting. From fiery Mexican dishes to a taste of my native Nigerian flavors, it was just an incredible adventure.

My grand finale was visiting the USS Midway Museum, where I explored the flight deck, hangar deck, bridge, engine room, and living quarters onboard the massive ship.  It was an opportunity to witness and learn about some of the aircraft that once served in the United States Navy from 1945 to 1992.

SamuelAkinnusi_12-1695070763395.jpeg SamuelAkinnusi_13-1695070763408.jpegSamuelAkinnusi_14-1695070763419.jpeg IMG-4864new.jpg

Caption: Samuel’s exploring San Diego with friends

As I reflect on my experience attending sessions at the Esri User Conference, I realize that San Diego had offered me not just knowledge but also a taste of adventure. It was a moment to forge connections, rekindle inspiration, have fun, and, most importantly, chart a course for the future. The experience was nothing short of transformative, and if given the chance, I would enthusiastically embrace it all over again.

Please feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn or email me at sakinnus@eagles.nccu.edu