Self-paced E-Learning access using Portal login

Jump to solution
07-19-2017 07:00 PM
Labels (1)
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to grant users access to online E-Learning using an enterprise Portal login? Our primary ArcGIS platform is Portal, not ArcGIS Online, and we'd like to reduce the number of user accounts each user needs to understand and manage.

Thanks,

Heather

12 Replies
BrettLessner
Occasional Contributor

@Suzanne-Boden,

I see the technical difficulty with signing Portal users into the Esri Training site. However, I need to provide novice users training materials, but don't have the number of AGOL licenses available, the time to manage both sets of licenses/public accounts, or the time to explain the difference between Portal and AGOL to all these people.    

What if Esri provided training materials to organizations with Poral? Or...why can't the sign in requirement for free training material just be removed? It's already free - just make it accessible. I would assume the majority of the material we (the commenters of this post) are after are "Free".

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brett, thanks for sharing your challenges with enabling e-Learning access for your users, your frustration is understandable. Our team continues to explore options to solve this--it's a tough nut to crack given the security issues.

Regarding the ArcGIS account sign-in, in addition to its use as a maintenance status check, an account is the mechanism that allows us to track learner progress (and make it easy for learners to pick up where they left off), award certificates of completion, offer wish-list and learning plan features, maintain Esri training history over time, and much more. People taking free training appreciate the benefits just as much as those taking paid or maintenance-only training. 🙂 It's not likely we'll do away with the sign-in. Nonetheless, I'll pass your suggestions along.

0 Kudos
jmcewen_ddg
New Contributor III

It's been almost 7 years since this post was created and 7 minutes since I came across it. Currently on the phone with Esri support right now asking about this and they might be piling on to an enhancement request if one exists already.

We have an Enterprise Agreement for small AEC and are using Portal because having 150-300 named AGO users is co$tly. Esri ought to grant a bucket of users to EA customers to allow so many Viewer AGO users that could then integrate with SSO as we have done with Portal for ArcGIS. At least that would allow us to have the SSO functionality even though each use would then have both a Portal and an organizational AGO account.

0 Kudos