Self-paced E-Learning access using Portal login

Jump to solution
07-19-2017 07:00 PM
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to grant users access to online E-Learning using an enterprise Portal login? Our primary ArcGIS platform is Portal, not ArcGIS Online, and we'd like to reduce the number of user accounts each user needs to understand and manage.

Thanks,

Heather

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Heather, at this time, Portal enterprise logins are not supported. If you have an ArcGIS Online organization in addition to Portal, the administrator can enable Esri access for members of the ArcGIS Online organization, and then they could use their enterprise logins to access e-Learning. Portal-only users need to be connected in My Esri and use an Esri public account to access e-Learning.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Heather, at this time, Portal enterprise logins are not supported. If you have an ArcGIS Online organization in addition to Portal, the administrator can enable Esri access for members of the ArcGIS Online organization, and then they could use their enterprise logins to access e-Learning. Portal-only users need to be connected in My Esri and use an Esri public account to access e-Learning.

BillLeddy
New Contributor II

It's been three years.  Has there been any change to allow Portal enterprise logins to be used to access MyEsri?  Creating public accounts on MyEsri is extra maintenance and possibly a security issue.

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bill, we are not able to validate ArcGIS Enterprise portal logins as those live behind your organization's firewall. If your organization also has an ArcGIS Online organization (many of our customers have both), your users could login with their ArcGIS Online account to access e-Learning, as long as Esri access has been enabled by the ArcGIS Online administrator. Otherwise, they will need to be connected in My Esri for unlimited access to e-Learning on the Training site .

0 Kudos
andrewj_ca
Occasional Contributor II

Yet another year has passed, has this functionality been added yet? Can this be solved through an AGOL/Portal collaboration? We use SAML for both AGOL and Portal, seems to be a simple solution especially since our Portal is available outside of our firewall. 

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew, as of today, we still are not able to verify maintenance status from enterprise portal logins. However, we want to provide this capability and are actively pursuing a solution. I don't have a time table for when the functionality will be added.

0 Kudos
andrewj_ca

Thanks Suzanne, this is something we'll be watching closely.  We want our portal users to have the ability to utilize the eLearning, but we don't want them to have to create an AGOL or an ArcGIS.com account to do so.  Please reach-out anytime if you'd like to discuss possible options or even if some beta testing is required.

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you, Andrew, we may take you up on the offer. 🙂

0 Kudos
Vassilios
New Contributor II

Hi Suzanne,

My Organisation is really keen to have a solution to this issue. We have a large ArcGIS Enterprise deployment and a need to provide training to our users. We do have AGOL Subscription but we do not have anywhere near-enough amount of named-users to enable ESRI access for our members.

We also use Azure ID store in both solutions and do not want the over-head of managing public accounts.

Thank you,

Vassilios

feralcatcolonist_old

@Suzanne-Boden, we are also keen for a solution to this. All of my users are provisioned in our Portal through Active Directory, I would prefer not to duplicate management through AGO. We have a collaboration from our Portal to our AGO, surely there must be a way that we can share a verification item that would allow a user to access the Esri platform utilizing our current provisioning. 

Likes an array of [cats, gardening, photography]