May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Well I do like the firefly technique. It looks sort of intriguing, the glow fades away with distance, just like real life phenomena, and it gets people excited about trying it out on their own.

KenField
Esri Contributor

I wanted to be a footballer, then an astronaut, then a California highway Patrolman...and all from my middle England city! I was good at geography, and reasonably good at art. I simply followed a path that led me into a bachelors course in cartography and then a career. I love that I do a job I love. If you're interested, i wrote up a brief history of how I landed where i landed http://cartonerd.blogspot.com/2013/06/cartographic-identity-disorder.html

KenField
Esri Contributor

Fondest cartographic memory:
Making a map that people physically engaged with...leant in, touched, searched, found a connection with.

Favourite map:
I have hundreds because there are so many different genres and each has many magnificent examples to choose from...but Beck's London Underground nudges as my favourite. the original. not the abomination that Transport for London have turned it into.

Most proud of.
I am proud of the book that's about to be published. I've been thinking about it for around 15 years. I'm proud to call many great cartographers friends. I also tend to be proud of the last map I made...a process that means you're always searching for something better, to learn new techniques and to make new and interesting maps. i'm also pretty proud of this MOOC. I recall taking the idea to David DiBiase and saying I think it'd be popular. I didn't imagine it'd attract 35,000 people!

KaylaResnick
New Contributor II

When does your book become available for purchase? I'm planning to get my hands on it, especially after seeing some of the graphics in the course videos!

CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Mark your calendar, Kayla Resnick‌ Ken said it is out on June 28th. 

KaylaResnick
New Contributor II

Thank you!

0 Kudos
EdiePunt
Esri Contributor

Kitty, 

I got my start in Cartography because I was researching the Canadian Inuit, and the ways that they traditionally understood their land in an oral-only tradition. This meant they relied heavily on ephemeral mapping. As I continued this work, it made me curious about how all maps are made. After I finished my degree I went to a technical college to learn both manual and digital cartography.

My fondest cartographic memory is having the opportunity to work with David Rumsey and immerse myself for months in his physical map collection. I’m most proud of the book that David Rumsey and I wrote together from that work.

Edie

CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

1. I started as a business major (yuck) and found Geography as a major. I loved it an never looked back. I especially like the mix of cartography and computer science that my job allows
2. Since my job is mostly software related, I'm most proud of ArcGIS Pro and being involved in it since the beginning.
3. San Serriffe
4. I take pride in shipping cartographic software and helping our users make better maps with our software.

FatimatAdebiyi
New Contributor

Thanks for including the AMA as part of the MOOC-Cartography.

My work involves creating maps for African countries e.g. Nigeria and Ghana. It is always challenging to create good maps that actually represent these countries due to insufficient data and base map in ArcGIS. Are there any resources that I could access that will make my work easier. For example, if I want to create a reference map of place called Elekuru in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria showing the locations of vegetable farmers in the area. Thanks. 

PatrickOlsen1
New Contributor

Dent 6E... Slocum 3E... Field 1E... compare and contrast, with a focus on transferable skills to digital cartography.