Mar. 2, 2018 - Earth Imagery at Work AMA (Ask Me Anything)

02-21-2018 01:38 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live AMA Event on GeoNet: Friday, Mar. 2, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PST)

We invite you to join Earth Imagery at Work MOOC instructors Kevin Butler and Emily Windahl here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Friday March 2, 2018 from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PST). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask Kevin and Emily questions about the course, about earth imagery data, Esri software, GIS or anything else that comes to mind. 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and Kevin and Emily will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. Please see instructions on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

We are live with Kevin Butler and Emily Windahl‌!

Live with Kevin ButlerLive with Emily Windahl

Thanks for joining us!

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
  • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌: Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
  • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies. 
  •           

10:30 am - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

11:00 am - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

11:25 am - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Kevin or Emily?

11:30 am - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with Kevin and Emily. They will continue to answer questions as schedules allow.

Thanks for joining us and asking great questions!  

0 Kudos
59 Replies
TonyBatistich1
New Contributor II

Hi Adena

I struggled through the Storymaps course last year and thought it was being

presented again later this year.

However, I have got on top of it myself doing a heritage map tour for a

suburb here in Auckland.

Can you suggest who could advise me or point to web links on how I can

build the Map Tour app using GPS to trigger off the item, eg an historic

post office, as one passes it while taking the tour?

This remote sensing course is really on the button as it provides you with

a good workflow to learn from to do your own thing.

I've got so enthused that I'm downloading Landsat 8 scenes to study the

decline in health of our kauri trees ( highly respected native trees in NZ

that have picked up a virus ).

Regards

Tony B

AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Tony,

There are quite a few Story Maps courses, some tutorials, some videos. Have a look at www.esri.com/training

I'd suggest you seek help with Story Maps in the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/storymaps?sr=search&searchId=dfbe678d-8ca7-4c1a-a4a...‌ place.

Good luck!

Adena

deleted-user-7oM7Lk8AiWFP
New Contributor II

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for your great advises.

Actually, I asked for a 'starting-out' job (volunteer and ...) but it didn't work, I think because in the south island there aren't so many opportunities for this field. I love to do a starting-out job because this is the only job I want. I try to find a way. Is it possible for you to have me on your LinkedIn?

www.linkedin.com/in/sahar-pour-16541b143

0 Kudos
TonyBatistich1
New Contributor II

It is so hard to get into work- you mention South Island - is that South

Island here in New Zealand?

With all my experience and skills, once I had turned mid to late 60s

no-one wanted to know me.

What I suggest is that you keep doing these courses and build up a skills

base. Then after each think out a little project that has some relevance

for the place ( country town?? ) where you'd like to work. Get the

documents and maps together into a neat bound folder - places like the

WarehouseStationery in NZ will print off and bind your work for you at low

cost.

What I do now is do voluntary work for heritage societies. I've been able

to develop some interesting projects that people just love being involved

in and hearing about and listening to. Could you find a local heritage

group or some community group and offer to do some free project for them?

These are all good stepping stones for finding that job in GIS you want.

GIS is one of the best careers in the world so keep knocking on the doors

with your work folio.... one day you will be in the right place at the

right time. Good GIS managers will take note of your enthusiasm and you

talents.

I got my start in teaching by being in the right place at the right time -

someone had resigned and they had a vacancy they needed to fill

immediately. .....and there is a wise old guy I used to work with and when

someone said to him "How did you get that job". He replied "I got it

because I applied" and there's a lot of truth in that....

All the best.

Tony B

deleted-user-7oM7Lk8AiWFP
New Contributor II

Thank you so much, Tony, 

Those are great consultations for me.I keep those forever in my mind and I'll Start to do some volunteer projects soon 
Yes, I meant southern island in New Zealand, Dunedin City.

I'm thankful for this excellent MOOCs.

0 Kudos
UMUTÜÇOK
New Contributor III

Hi, initially thanks for AMA. My questions are about legendary licensing issue and DataStore.

1-   So typically licensing are divided by 2 types : core and named user. But ESRI forces people to choose core and named user at the same time. My first question : WHY? I asked this because including Oracle all database firms gives 2 types : core and named user. But esri wants everything..

2-   I tested concurrent connection to REST services for basic license for 8 months ago. I published a map service ( feature access is open ) then make people to connect them on web, ArcGIS Desktop etc and edit on them. These 8 people were exceeding basic license. Also talked with technical support in Turkey and they told me " there is no limit for connecting as each user" . Pay attention, these users were not named user. They're just user..

Then federating comes up. With federating, i think we cannot connect as just a user and consumes the services. We have to be named user. But we cannot edit. I think you need to add another named user type. Like Level 3 which is for only editing. Otherwise ESRI limited our usage and this is ridiculous.

3-   This question is about runtime licensing. Okay so there are 4 types for runtime: Lite, Basic, Standard and Advanced. We can't predict about using for each mobile. A guy from esri dubai told me " this packs are actually seat".  So if i installed my runtime program into a computer, mobile etc. one seat will be used. Is it correct? If it's like this, what if i write a framework and use this runtime and people just consume my platform services, how are you going to count my seats? 

4-    My last question is about DataStore. DataStore includes elasticsearch with releasing 10.6 as i read. This program is a customized PostgreSQL NoSQL database program.. So what if we want to use this program replacing Cassandra and Solr. Is DataStore able to be used for this purpose? I don't think but i need to ask this.. Because i think datastore is a very good idea to be a database to be used in ESRI environment. But we are able to use this to only store analysis outputs ( Geoanalytics and Geoevent ) and publishing traditional maps , i think. What if we want to move our whole data's in Oracle to this DataStore. It would be wonderful i think. But i don't know can datastore manage and store this. 

Thanks for your time,

Umut.

edited : for syntax.

AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Umut,

Thanks for your detailed questions. We need to do some research to get these questions to the right people. We'll get back to you here in the coming days!

Adena

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi ucok.umut Thanks for your questions, in addition to Adena's response, here are some places on GeoNet where you might be able to find answers to your questions:

ArcGIS Desktop SDK

ArcGIS Pro

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android

Geodatabase

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
UMUTÜÇOK
New Contributor III

Hi Michelle, thanks for your reply. But i don't like to be replied via couple links. You can be sure, we read those links and because of found any useful things i decided to write for AMA. 

It seems you're very busy. Thanks.

@Adena what about you? You'd made couple research and get me back?

0 Kudos
UMUTÜÇOK
New Contributor III

Hi AMA Team, thanks for your time. My question is about runtime.

Let's suppose that we developed a mobile application using Runtime SDK. They downloaded the data into mobile and edit them as offline. So this environment means local server, right? editing local server needs Standard runtime license. We have over 1000 field operators. Which deployment packs we have to buy? Why did you put these licensing limits into runtime? In the past, we had a RUD code and deployed for all mobiles. But now i cannot convince our customers offering these packets. Is there any packs for unlimited user?