ArcMap Screen Not Refreshing / Redrawing Properly?

02-28-2019 10:10 AM
Labels (1)
RenoGregory
New Contributor II

Hello, I am just getting started using ArcMap and my screen almost never refreshes properly.

If I make any changes, zoom in or out, pan, etc. the map doesn't update. The only thing that gets it to update is to use the hand tool and wiggle the map slightly and suddenly everything's updated.

The same happens when hitting the redraw button (F5). Only when you wiggle it slightly with the pan tool does it update.

I don't believe this is because my computer is on the slower side. In the corner, it'll say which layers it's redrawing, and it'll go through them pretty quick. But then, the screen never updates with those changes until you wiggle it a bit.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Specs:

ArcGIS Desktop 10.4

Windows 10

1.89 GHz Quad Core

8GB RAM

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Start a new project, add some data, preferably not data you are currently using... also no online basemap.

Does it exhibit the same behaviour?

trying to rule out existing projects from new project behaviour

0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue and haven't found a solution.  New project, new data, re-installation, an additional 24gb of RAM...no changes.  Have you been able to find a solution?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

same version of ArcMap?  I can't find any reference to this behaviour anywhere.  If it were in a different version of ArcMap, then it could be data source type, and location (ie SDE vs locally stored, featureclasses, vs rasters and the list goes on)

0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

Different version, 10.3.  When I think about the issue, it seems like ArcMap is running out of memory (cache may be the specific word I am looking for).  If I load up a shapefile, zoom to a region within the data (I can see the zoom box being drawn), then start to pan around (this is where my issue starts), the redraw eventually stops happening until I give the map a small nudge with the pan tool.  Go to use the zoom tool again, this time around the box being drawn cannot be seen.  This isn't happening with any unique data being loaded: a 294 point shapefile over the extent of Florida minus the panhandle, and the Imagery basemap (same result without the basemap).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

I have tried that.  Upon doing so (in this current mapping session that I referenced at the end of my last comment) the basemap disappears and the dotted box graphic when using the zoom tools still does not display and the map requires a pan bump to redraw the shapefile.

0 Kudos
KyleKimber
New Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue with version 10.7.1. Have you been able to isolate the problem yet?

0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

Hi Kyle, 

I was able to figure out the problem on my laptop. In order to get ArcMap to work properly I had to run the program using the integrated graphics card rather than the stand-alone NVIDIA GPU (which the laptop defaults to using) .

Try right clicking the ArcMap icon (the one in the Arc Desktop folder, not the shortcut. Though the shortcut might work too.), then there should be an option to specify what graphics card to run the program with. Under that option you'll have to select "integrated graphics".

Please post back and let me know if this worked. 

KyleKimber
New Contributor

Hey Steve,

Your guidance solved the issue.

Thank you!

0 Kudos