Select to view content in your preferred language

Can We Change Default Re-Sampling For Rasters?

12-05-2019 10:49 AM
JoelSholtes
New Contributor

Team,

The default or first option for any raster re-sampling / re-projection geoprocessing tools is "nearest neighbor". This re-sampling algorithm is explicitly for integer or categorical data. The other two options are for continuous data and represent interpolation schemes. 

Because "nearest neighbor" is the default re-sampling algorithm, when re-sampling or re-projecting a continuous data raster, numerical artifacts are introduced.

I work with continuous data almost explicitly (digital elevation models, hydrologic/snow data, etc). I also teach undergrads GIS. I have been teaching them about the difference in these re-sampling algorithms. However, having to choose an appropriate interpolation scheme for re-sampling continuous data (bilinear or cubic), but it is often a step that is neglected. 

Can ESRI change the default re-sampling algorithm to either bilinear or cubic?  OR can they add some sort of warning / prompt / flag on the geoprocessing tools that advises the user as to the appropriate sampling scheme?

Let me know what you think!

Joel Sholtes

Colorado Mesa University

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies