Utility Network Migration

07-20-2020 11:08 AM
JasonStewart1
New Contributor

I am curious if there are any utilities out there planning on migrating (or are in the process of migrating) to the Utility Network.  If so, would you be willing to talk about your planning and/or migration efforts?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason,

we are working in Oz with a number of Utilities, Power and Water/Sewer chiefly. These are in various stages of deployment.

Some projects are enormous, encompassing a total Enterprise re-boot and integration with other systems, using dozens of consultants across the board.

And others are small local government sites, some migrating from an existing small ArcFM system and others new to the WebGIS and looking to use their network datasets in ways that benefit the entire organisation.

Jason, let us know some specific questions and we may be able to provide some insights (and potentially avoid some false starts).
It would be useful to understand what your organisation has as existing infrastructure, software versions, existence of geometric network, experience with ArcGIS Pro.

Pat_Hohl
Esri Contributor

Don't miss the webinar on Wed specifically on UN migration and implementation. 2020 Utility Network Webinar Landing Page 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jason,

We've lead two gas utilities into production with the utility network over the last 18 months.  Lots of lessons learned to share.  If you send me an email (jaime.crawford@critigen.com) I can forward you a presentation we gave at GeoConX last year and connect you with a few utilities in the planning stage.  

Take care,

Jaime

Signe_BrammingAndersen
New Contributor

Hi Jason
We have a customer going live on Utility Network for Electrical Distribution this year. I'd be happy to take a Teams or Skype call and share experience (signe.bramming@similix.dk).
We have a group of customers representing electric, gas, fiber & district heating in various stages of UN project implementation, and the big topics for discussion seem to be: data quality (need for cleansing in source system or in migration), benefit from the new rich data model in UN (data enrichment in migration), big bang or phased go-live, integration to ADMS/OMS/SCADA, integration to ERP and support for construction projects/short and long term planning. 
Best,

Signe 

AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Jason,

I recommend talk with Signe if you get a chance. I'm not favouring any particular company but I'm currently working on a project with the business Signe is from to migrate a custom GIS solution (Server 10.2.1 & AutoCAD) and a SmallWorld EO into Esri UNM for an Electricity Transmission & Distribution business across all of Queensland, Australia.

Good luck

MunkMunk
New Contributor

Curious about this as well. I've heard many difficulties with the UN migration being multi-staged and taking sometimes 2 to 3 times as long as expected and blowing budgets...not something I would want to get into as a utility.

0 Kudos