Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to adjust pole locations by modifying X and Y coordinates

08-01-2024 12:20 PM
wgreen90
Emerging Contributor

I am writing to inform you about an upcoming project, which involves updating the geographical coordinates of all electric poles within the city.

Regrettably, we have encountered an issue with our current GIS software, wherein the location information appears to be restricted as private.

Upon closer examination, we have noticed that the X and Y attributes displayed in GIS as shown in the attachment titled "GIS Coordinate" are for visual representation purposes only and are not linked to the actual coordinates of the features on our base map.

- When we attempt to move a feature, such as a pole, on the map, the displayed X and Y coordinates do not update accordingly.

- Conversely, updating the coordinates does not result in the feature moving to the newly specified location on the map.

Our primary inquiry revolves around the possibility of making the coordinate fields visible allowing us to directly manipulate pole locations by modifying the X and Y coordinates.

This would greatly facilitate our efforts to update these coordinates using the Attributes tables.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

2 Replies
adanpineda
Occasional Contributor

that is something that i have also seen on my projects.

When i move the point, it doesnt update the Lat long Field.

When i modify the LatLong Field, its doesnt move the point.

We created a script that would Move the point to a new Latlong.

Project was moving Digitized point to a lidar accurate point.

Had to Join a table that had the correct Latlongs

jennsmith_ElectricUN
Emerging Contributor

There are some limitations when the data is set to public versus private. I would recommend making the database public and test moving the points then. Then after you've made the edits - switch it back to private.