Integrating Sensus AMI Meters with ArcMap - Live

12-11-2019 11:10 AM
LineCrew
New Contributor II

We are a small electric utility that has Sensus AMI meters. We are brainstorming some ideas and want to see what other utilities have done to connect directly to their AMI meters from their GIS. We know about GeoEvent Server, but are wondering if there are other options out there? We would like to stay away from static data dumps. So some of our questions are...

1) Are there any other electric utilities using Sensus AMI Meters that have integrated their meters into their GIS to see meter activity live?

2) Is GeoEvent Server the only solution through ESRI to make that happen?

Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

AMI‌ electric utility‌ Sensus

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you already have access to Esri software and Servers then using a Stream Service in the GeoEvent server would be my recommendation for providing the capability you described without relying on a static data dump (storing a static copy of the data is optional).  The only other mainstream Esri product for this that I've worked with is using Osoft's PI Historian + OSIsoft's Esri PI Integrator to capture and stream the data to Esri, but it has a much higher software/hardware footprint and price point (but provides a lot of additional benefits).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Michael Krueger from HDR consultants gave a presentation at the Esri CeoConX Conference this year on a similar topic. The description for his presentation (Outage Event Mapping using the ArcGIS API for Python) is on this page. Not much information, I know, but it might be a starting point.

LineCrew
New Contributor II

Thank you Matt! We will check it out.

0 Kudos
TylerKiehle1
New Contributor III

Did you ever figure out a way to bring in Sensus Meter data into your GIS? 

I'm very curious because my organization is implementing Sensus Smart Meters within an AMI, but everything I've seen indicates that the Sensus FlexNet RNI and Sensus Analytics are closed systems with no API or REST services that can be used to bring our data into other systems.