Extend Python with ArcGIS Runtime for Qt

12-05-2017 11:51 AM

Extend Python with ArcGIS Runtime for Qt

Right: we will have no silliness in this presentation!  As a simple example, I'll show how to use PyQt to launch a QML app.  But why stop there?  Next, I'll show how to use SIP and qmake to create Python bindings for the C++ API that work seamlessly with PyQt.  Finally, I'll show how to use Qt Creator to create (and debug!) a coarse-grained object in C++ and add SIP wrappers in the release build to make a Python module.  Includes QtWidget and QtQuick examples that work in macOS and Windows.  Is this concept practical?  No, no, no!  Hold your head like this, then go 'Whaah!'  Try it again.

Comments

And now for something completely different:

• Organization: UniSource Energy Services
  • Address: 2901 W Shamrell Blvd #110, Flagstaff, AZ  86005
  • Phone: 928-226-2235
  • Email: mcederholm@uesaz.com
  • Presenter Biography: ArcGIS developer since mid 1990s.  
  • Favorite Monty Python Sketch:  The Undertakers Sketch

You can download the presentation and the latest version of the sample code here.

I definitely plan to wrap more Runtime classes, especially Tasks.  Also, I want to put out some more fun examples, such as geocoding and taking maps offline.  Now, HERE is the place for some feedback.  As of now, this project is something that I'm just doing for personal entertainment, but I believe that ArcGIS Runtime for Python can be a reality, as well as genuinely fun.  With that, let me ask a complex question.

Given that Qt is paying some lip service to PySide 2 as "Qt for Python", but also the fact that PyQt and SIP are here-and-now and up-to-date -- how many people are interested in my continuing my own approach?  More importantly, would anyone be willing to collaborate?  For the first time in my life, I'd be perfectly willing to post a Git (you stupid Git!) but only if others are willing to participate.  Also, if "Qt for Python" really happens, it might be worth jumping the line and completely reworking this project.

Anyway, these are my thoughts right now.  DevSummit was great -- I've been to every single one -- and already I'm looking forward to next year.  Cheers! 

--Mark

Version history
Last update:
‎12-05-2017 11:51 AM
Updated by:
Contributors