Disseminating information from Desktop Environment

01-04-2018 10:40 AM

Disseminating information from Desktop Environment

1. ESRI DevSummit ABSTRACT

Presenter Name: Jason Muriki Kinyua

Organization: JSoft Solutions LTD

E-mail: kinyuajasonmuriki@gmail.com

Presentation Title: Disseminating information from Desktop Environment.

Biography (https://kinyuajasonmuriki.github.io/)

Am a GIS professional, currently pursuing bachelor’s degree in Geomatics Engineering, Geospatial Information Systems and Remote Sensing at Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.

In most instances I utilize commercial and open-source Geospatial packages and services to capture, store, analyze, manipulate and visualize spatial data/information. Commercial packages that I find convenient( has support for major geospatial functionalities) include Arcgis Desktop and Erdas Imagine. Open-source software that i find inevitable in provision of technological solutions include QGIS, GDAL/OGR, LeafletJS, GeoDjango, GRASS, Arcgis-online platform, Arcgis-android-SDK among others.

To make the long story short, I 'm open-minded, self motivated ,a critical thinker, passionate for results, have a flexible attitude towards work and ever worried of product final user satisfaction. I have strong technical and excellent interpersonal skills. I'm welcoming to challenges that may give light to ideas or improve skills and experience. I get on well with people at all levels.

Disseminating Information from Desktop Environment

Conventionally, GIS professionals collect data, store, retrieve at will for manipulation and analysis and visualize results in desktop monitor and/or printed graphics (in order to make spatial-data supported decisions). The process of sharing information from workspace desktop to other departments/sectors within an organization or third party personnels imply extra costs to print graphics, need for extra storage resources, data redundancy (Copies of the data shared) and waste of time. In some way, this process may be inconveniencing and increase organisation's expenses. However, with advancement in technology, sharing of information could be made simpler and consistent with increasing demand for information caused by increased user pool. Through web-mapping and mobile GIS this level of simplicity and beyond is possible. Data stored in spatial database and results of spatial analysis are made available to the world of users who access these resources using a URL in their browser or Mobile-Device powered service. Assuming the user has Internet connection, only an account will be required, if any, to access data and geo-visualize results.

In this presentation, I will demonstrate how this can be achieved using Arcgis-online platform and AppStudio for ArcGIS.

Version history
Last update:
‎01-04-2018 10:40 AM
Updated by:
Contributors