Need help setting up new ArcGIS 10.3.1 server

12-18-2015 06:58 AM
NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are trying to set up New GIS website for our Non-Profit organization. I am still learning the JAVA API but we are in the process of setting up the infrastructure. We just got new ArcGIS Server 10.3.1. If somebody can guide me what all do we need to publish our GIS data on the web. We want more of analysis framework like selecting different layers or different geographies and some pop up charts or facts about specific geographic unit.

If you can guide what all components we need on the server or if we need any extensions that will be great! Thanks of your help!!

Tags (1)
2 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

You mentioned Java - are you referring to the web JavaScript API, or the Java SDK? I'm guessing you're referring to the JavaScript API (JSAPI) since you are wanting to publish your data to the web. For your reference, here is the link to the documentation:

ArcGIS API for JavaScript

You might want to look more at the WebApp Builder - it's easier to develop web apps than the full-blown JSAPI:

Welcome—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers

As far as ArcGIS Server, if you purchased for local deployment, it may be a bit challenging to set-up if you do not have experience with IT/systems, ArcGIS, and web development. There are quite a few pieces to the puzzle, everything from installation, infrastructure and network architecture, to setting-up failovers and high availability, and to making the server publicly accessible. It's doable, most definitely, but many users opt to go the ArcGIS Sever on-the-cloud route, or maybe ArcGIS Online, depending on needs - Deployment | ArcGIS for Server. It's important to understand the differences:

https://community.esri.com/thread/51315#post198140

What are differences between ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS Publisher? - Geographic Inf...

Here's the installation guide for local deployment:

Welcome to the ArcGIS for Server (Windows) installation guide—Installation Guides (10.3 and 10.3.1) ...

I will say you get the most control by self-hosting ArcGIS Server and developing using the JSAPI API, but it's a process and is the most complicated route. You can even host the JSAPI, if you want. I would say most don't and simply use the Esri CDN.

It took us 6 months+ to install, configure, develop, test, and deploy the first version of our mapping application.

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

You will want to work with your IT folks to insure the following firewall ports are open for the server to function properly and allow your services to be visible.

Firewall ports needed to connect to SDE 10.2 +