How to Project shapefile using GIS

Jump to solution
09-24-2017 05:55 PM
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor

Hello everybody,

I have four  US metropolitan cities ( Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas , Detroit) which are in Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983. I want to project them using UTM. Appreciate if somebody walk me through the process in GIS and let me know about the best projection zones I should use for these metro cities. 

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor

Okay, let me try NAD83, and see the output maps..

Thanks a lot

Best wishes!

ABDALLA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

UTM zone maps are many and the Project tools will do it

0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan..

Thanks a lot for your input, but UTM zone maps doesn't tell me the best UTM zones for these cities. It gives you general ideas about UTM. For example it doesn't tell if I should use NAD83 / UTM zone 16N  or any other zones. Because there are many UTM zones..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since the cities are in North America, NAD 83 would suffice as would WGS84 if you don't want to do a datum transform.  Since you are working at a city scale, the difference will not be relevant.  And there is a good chance that the whole city falls within one utm zone.  Just match your city to its location on a utm map.  If they don't fall in the same utm zone, and you want to map them together, the US, often uses an Albers projections in that case.

ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor

Okay, let me try NAD83, and see the output maps..

Thanks a lot

Best wishes!

ABDALLA

0 Kudos