Content of the mxd lost

08-24-2015 02:33 AM
GülEndam
New Contributor

I found a bug which clear the content of my mxd, but I am unable to report this, since the reporting system has changed, I wonder if someone else also had the similar problem and found out the reason.

The issue was that: I  have organized an mxd with some spatial and non spatial data, i had different data frames in this mxd, after I was done saved my mxd file  but when I  re-open it again I found out that the content was removed. The size of the mxd was same but I was unable to visualize the content. There was some external data connection with SQL-server, that connections were still in mxd but not the content from gdb.

Had anyone encountered with this error before ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the 'lost data' is being indicated by a red ! beside each layer, then your project hasn't used relative paths as the default.  The project file and/or the data files/links have been moved.  You can correct this by selecting a layer, right-click, select data, then repair data source and navigate to the location of the data

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To add to what Dan mentioned....if you have multiple items with ! and they are all located in the same workspace, if you double-click on the ! and can fix the one path, the rest of the items in that same path/workspace should also be repaired.

GülEndam
New Contributor

Well actually, that was not the case, so the path was not lost but the spatial data itself , the layers were removed from mxd.

first i thought it was my mistake and I have deleted because it sounds quiet weird to me. But this happened several times.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

So, are the layers not listed in the TOC at all?  Or are they listed (you mentioned the SQL connection was still there) but the data just doesn't draw?​  if no longer in the TOC, it sees there is an issue I saving the actual mid ... Maybe the save didn't complete successfully (ie a write error?).

if in the TOC but not seeing the data, that sounds like more of a permission or access problem.  Are the credentials saved, and saved correctly in your SQL connection?

If neither of those seem to be an issue, than I would suggest contacting  Esri Support to figure out the specifics. If a bug, they can submit it.

0 Kudos
YuanLiu
Occasional Contributor

To add to Rebecca's questions, is any code involved in this process? Like ArcPy, ArcObjects SDK or so? If possible, could you post some screenshots here please?

0 Kudos