Select to view content in your preferred language

Before and After Maps

06-17-2015 08:25 AM
emilyantoszyk
New Contributor

Does anyone know how to create maps with a slider bar that allows the user to look at a map before and after? Like this: Hurricane Sandy Before and After Map & Satellite Images | Esri Disaster Map. I'm not sure what it's called so I'm having trouble searching for tips...

Thanks,

Emily

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Emily,

If you know your way around javascript, this is the way to go.

LayerSwipe widget | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

Tim

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Where are you developing this? In ArcGIS Online or one of the APIs? Tagging your post might help.

If you're using the JavaScript API, the LayerSwipe ​tool would be what you're looking for.

emilyantoszyk
New Contributor

Thanks Tim and Ken, I'm actually not familiar with using JavaScript or the API, hence the lack of tags. I am mostly a Desktop user, where would I begin if I wanted to take advantage of the API?

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

This is a great starting point: ArcGIS API for JavaScript

StanMcShinsky
Regular Contributor

Emily,

If you want to use this in the desktop environment then you can just add the Effects toolbar and select the layer you want and use the swipe tool.

Here is a link to the desktop help that talks about it.

ArcGIS Desktop

-Stan

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

You can also check out completed samples of the Esri JS API: Samples | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

JacquelineKovarik
New Contributor III

Hey Emily,

Here'a link to a 'swipe' story map template in ArcGIS Online that would be simple to customize:

Story Map Swipe and Spyglass Tutorial | Story Maps

If you're not familiar with ArcGIS Online, you can create a free account and there are a lot of great resources for how to get started on Esri's help site and other blogs.

Good luck!

Jacqueline