10.5 Portal Developer License

04-16-2017 09:45 AM
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

For 10.5 my portal licensing only provides two of the five licenses as Level 2 users and the remaining three as Level 1.  I don't know about anyone else but for our testing this is not very useful.  All of the users of our development instance need to be Level 2 users.

Does anyone know a way to change how these are provisioned?  I must be missing something because I cannot see how esri would think that a development/test instance could be of full value with only two Level 2 named users

Thanks,
-Joe
7 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There isn't a way to convert a level 1 and level 2 seats (that I know of), but I agree that it is too limited for most users/organizations for development and testing.  I think any additional allocation would have to go through your customer service rep and/local distributor, and even then I'm not sure if it is possible.  Even if it would be possible to  "join" the allocation from multiple developer subscriptions into one install, that would/could help.

I'm wondering if the Portal-to-Portal option will eventually help. .??

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

I am just amazed no one else finds this as difficult as I do.  I basically have a test bed with one user, because I have to use one license for myself and then there is one Level 2 user left over for testing.  A level 1 user is worthless, they cannot do anything that our application requires permissions wise

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't think you are alone, but as of yet, I'm still using AGOL and ArcGIS Server, neither is federated (and probably will not be in foreseeable future) because we do not have enough named-users to cover all our staff.  Once we get Portal actually p and running, we probably will run into the same limitation, although a few of us have developer subscriptions (formally EDN subscriptions) so we may need to develop using that setup.  The other option is to purchase more named-user seats, but I don't see that happening for us anytime soon either.  (my opinion.)

BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

Thread is pretty old but wondering how you made out with this. I am in the same boat now that I am trying portal for the first time. I have 2 developers but can only have one level 2 account because the psa took the other. Really shortsighted on ESRI's part. 

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

What I did eventually find out is that within an organization you are able to combine the named users for multiple developer licenses together.  This is something an account rep would have to do, and likely is not aware can be done so it will take some effort to make it happen.  So within our company some of our users now have no named users associated to their license and others have all those users attached to their account

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

Well that sounds like a headache. I think instead of buying a second developer license I will just get a second staging licene to use as our dev environment.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Our company already has a number of people with developer licenses, so for us the most cost effective was to re-provision how they were being used.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos