Select to view content in your preferred language

Home Use Program for ArcGIS Developer

03-20-2022 04:18 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Idea:
Could Esri consider offering a “home use program” for ArcGIS Developer?

For example, some companies offer a program where employees can get a discount on products, if their employer has already paid for the product. The idea being, the employee wants to use the product at home, for professional development purposes. But, it would be unrealistic to pay thousands of dollars for the software, since they already have access to it at work. Still, the employee would like to use the product at home, so that they can have more freedom to experiment, and would even be willing to pay for it. But the key thing is, the price needs to be reasonable. Otherwise, the employee won’t be interested in paying for it.

Microsoft has a program like that for their products. You tell them your company email address, they verify your employer already pays for the product, and then they give you a discount on the price (the discount is sent to your work email address). Otherwise, they know people won’t be interested in paying full price for the product if they already have access to it at work.

It seems like a clever revenue source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/home-use-program

Could Esri consider doing something similar? It would be pretty great to be able to learn and experiment with things like AppStudio at home, since that’s not something I have time for at work right now. And I’d be happy to sign a contact that says it’s for home-use only.

Would that be doable?

Thanks.
(an aspiring ArcGIS app developer…who can’t afford the price of a yearly Developer subscription)

4 Comments
DanPatterson

ArcGIS for Personal Use for Noncommercial GIS Projects (esri.com)

the price is very low, country dependent in their currency 

Bud
by

@DanPatterson 

Developer subscriptions seem pretty high, if we’re only using it for home use/training purposes.

E5C9B5B7-841C-453D-A674-D3B9DB9EFD5B.jpeg

DanPatterson

that is effectively bring all your work home.  The personal use is $100+ ish and you can develop tools using python/arcpy, If you need .net then no .  I guess it depends on what you want to work at, at home

Raul_Jimenez

Thanks @Bud for taking the time to share this idea. 

Indeed, as you said Dan, ArcGIS for Personal Use and ArcGIS for Student Use are low-cost options for ArcGIS users to get access to software for noncommercial use, but as @Bud said, not all products that can be used for development are included there.

Thanks for sharing this idea Bud, I'll share it internally.

And just for the record, in case someone reading this idea is not aware, right now, the most suitable bundle for developers to get some tools & services for personal use is to sign-up for a free account under developers.arcgis.com (a.k.a. ArcGIS Platform) which include:

Disclaimer: with the free account you don't get access to ArcGIS Desktop, AppStudio or ArcGIS Enterprise among others as Bud said (check differences). 

Thanks,
Raul