Arcade Extension for Visual Studio Code

07-07-2020 11:42 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It would be great if Esri released a VS Code extension for Arcade that supports code highlighting and linting, at a minimum.  The ArcGIS Arcade Playground is nice, but it would be so much better to have that functionality in a popular, open-source IDE like VS Code.

6 Comments
LeviCecil

Great idea!! 

PhilippNagel1

Voted for this! 

Code highlighting works OK if you manually change the language to JavaScript in VS Code.

ChrisCarver

We are running into so many issues when we run attribute rules in the Expression Builder in ArcPro. It would be wonderful if an extension built for VS Code could not only handle linting and such, but also connect to your ArcGIS env and validate expressions in real time. Continually having the Expression Builder confirm valid code only to have it rejected on save is getting to be a very frustrating experience. I daresay it would be better to just abandon the ArcPro Expression Builder and focus on a VS code extension that is purpose built. I do the same as @PhilippNagel1 and set the language to Javascript. I also have the Arcade function reference up on another screen. Then it becomes a game of copy and paste from VS Code to ArcPro, validating with the linter, attempting to save and then rinse and repeat. Also, at a minimum, the Expression Builder should open to AT LEAST half screen. That little box does little more than fuel my urge to pop a Xanax. Here's hoping we get that extension for VS Code....

Bud
by
JodiLuostarinen

Agree.  We could use this.  It would make life so much easier.

GIS_Spellblade

This would make development so much better. I only loathe writing Arcade because of how I have to do it. VS Code is life.

arcade.png