Using AML in ArcGIS

10-19-2015 07:48 PM
GEORGIOSARSENIOU
New Contributor

@

Hello,

I want to use in ArcGIS a point cloud  classification tool that is called Multiscale Curvature Algorithm. The script of the tool that I downloaded from ESRI is in .aml format. I downloaded the aml file in my workstation and then I created the tool in ArcGIS specifying all the parameters. The problem is that when I run the tool then I receive  a message that asks me with which software I want to open the .aml file and finally the tool does not work. This message seems weird to me. Has anybody any suggestion so that I overcome this problem? I have also checked the aml executable under the ArcGIS folder.

Thank you in advance

George Arseniou

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Frequent Contributor

AML Code was designed to work with ArcInfo Workstation.  Note that this is not the same as ArcGIS.  However, there are some options to use it with ArcGIS, but you will need to set it up:

This topic applies to ArcInfo only.

It's possible to use ARC Macro Language (AML) files in the ArcGIS Desktop environment by creating a new geoprocessing script tool. If you have an ArcInfo license and ArcInfo Workstation installed, you can add a custom script tool that references an AML.

There is an initial step that must be completed before an AML file can be set up as a script tool. The system must be able to open ArcInfo Workstation and run the &run command, such as arc: &run MyAml.aml. ESRI provides a tool for updating the system registry. After the system registry has been updated, add a new script tool using the Add Script Tool dialog wizard. The script tool can be used like any other geoprocessing tool.

Using AML with Script Tools

ArcGIS Desktop

Also, here is an older post that provides more info:

Run aml script from Toolbox

Chris Donohue, GISP

GEORGIOSARSENIOU
New Contributor

Dear Mr. Chris Donohue,

Thank you very much for your response which is really helpful for me. I work at  University as Master student therefore I have installed  both the licenses of ArcInfo and ArcInfo Workstation. I have also tried the initial step that you have also mentioned but I did not create any script tool that references an AML. Could you please give me some more information on how to create this script tool? Because I have no experience on AML.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Frequent Contributor

Here's the process.  Look at the overview and then the specfic links.

A quick tour of creating script tools

ArcGIS Desktop

Then look at this for the specifics on using AML's

ArcGIS Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is there a requirement that you run it in a ArcGIS Desktop tool?  If not, since you have Workstation (WS) installed, open a WS window.  Use   "w path"   to change to the location of your .aml file and run it there.

As you can see in the graphic, you can include arguments inline....or you could edit the .aml (it is just a text file) and hard code them (is this is a one time run).  If you copy the .aml to the same folder as you data, you can eliminate having to use full paths.

AML is a pretty straight forward language, and arcpy was the first good replacement, in my opinion, since it can directly use many of the Arc tools (syntax may be different in ArcGIS).  There is a chance that you can open up the AML and see what the equivalent arcpy tools that are needed.

JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Holy smokes; I haven't seen an Arc prompt or &Run in ages...  

Vince Angelo

can't wait to retire....
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Frequent Contributor

IKR - back in the day when GIS was almost an abstract thing in that you usually couldn't see your data and how it was getting modified until the end of a series of processes.

Then ArcView came out and suddenly you could easily look at your data and see the effects of processes as you worked on it.  Though then again that ushered in shapefiles, for good and bad....

Chris Donohue, GISP

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm working on getting my last AMLs converted, before they really don't work, but I only use them every couple years, and they still nicer in many ways.

Although, I don't miss having to write ArcPlot commands for every map/plot.     Even ArcView 1.0 was a great improvement on that.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just curious - are there suitable replacements for all AML code/processes?  Looks like ArcInfo Workstation is in its final version and will be retired at the end of this year:

http://downloads.esri.com/support/product%20life%20cycle/gis_tools/ArcInfoWorkstation_PLC.pdf

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
GEORGIOSARSENIOU
New Contributor

So if I want to use an aml then I must create a scripting tool so that ArcGIS is able to read it?

0 Kudos