update attribute in feature layer from another feature layer

03-01-2024 02:08 PM
Labels (2)
tendtreesTC
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I have just seen this new pipeline tool and hoping it might be a solution to a problem I am having.

I have a garden auditing program setup which requires field staff to undertake a certain number of random audits of gardens per month.  

The feature layer that contains all of the garden information is owned by the client and we have viewing rights to but not editing so what I have had to do is create a copy of that data and create a related table with all of the audit questions.  This is working fine however the client has been making minor updates to the original garden layer which is resulting in discrepancies between my copy and the original data.

Is it possible using Data Pipeline to update the fields (and potentially geometry) within my copied garden bed layer from the original garden feature layer and can I program this to automatically schedule it every 1 month for example?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BethanyScott
Esri Contributor

Hi @tendtreesTC ,

Thank you for reaching out.

Here's the general workflow to follow:

1. Add the client's garden feature layer to your content via URL using the New item button on the Content page.
    • If the layer is not public, you will need to store the credentials.
  2. In Data Pipelines, connect to the layer using the Feature layer input.
  3. Configure an output Feature layer.
    • Set the Output method parameter to Add and update
    • Use the Feature layer parameter to browse to the layer you want to update
    • Set the Unique identifier parameter (for example, OBJECTID. The values must correspond to the same features in each layer).
  4. Save and Run the data pipeline. This will update your layer with the information from the client's layer.
  5. Schedule the data pipeline using the Schedule button in the editor.

Alternatively, if your feature layer is not the origin in the relationship, you could use the Replace output method. Replace does not support replacing data in layers or tables that are the origin of a relationship.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again,

Bethany

0 Kudos
tendtreesTC
New Contributor III

Thanks Bethany, is there a way to link it using a different identifier?  both of my layers have an asset ID that matches but I'm not sure how to link from this?

0 Kudos
BethanyScott
Esri Contributor

Hi @tendtreesTC ,

To use the asset ID field as input to the Unique identifier parameter, you'll need to add a unique constraint to the field. This only needs to be done for your copy of the layer, not the clients.

After that you should be able to complete the steps I noted above.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again,

Bethany

0 Kudos