Select to view content in your preferred language

Support for kmz/kml

11-06-2023 07:27 AM
QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

Will you be adding support for kmz/kml files? This is arguably one of the more inconvenient formats to use in the esri stack but is probably the most common spatial format used by non-GIS people. I'd say it's way more useful than Parquet currently. Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BuffaloCoWI
Frequent Contributor

You can already display KML layers, or import and export KML or KMZ files in ArcGIS Pro. However, they are not as useful as other layers, because all KML data by definition is only in a single coordinate system and not projected, and they are read-only in ArcGIS.

KML and Parquet serve very different purposes. KML is really only meant for front-end applications and sharing small datasets, while Parquet is designed for storing big data, and can be spatially enabled using GeoParquet. It makes sense for ESRI to invest further resources for Parquet support, because it can be used for serious big-data and spatial analysis, but KML cannot feasibly be used for either.

0 Kudos
QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

This is a data pipelines question, KML is the default for the majority of non-GIS industry uses and it makes sense to have an automated way to process. Not everything is serious big-data or spatial analysis...

0 Kudos
BuffaloCoWI
Frequent Contributor

It's all automated already. You can add a KML/KMZ layer just like any other kind of layer, and importing or exporting KML is via geoprocessing tools.

0 Kudos
QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

I want to automate the ETL/processing of a kml file that's available on the internet and is updated daily at the same URL. Is this not a use case for pipelines? It says that scheduling is in the next release. Sure I could probably write and schedule a notebook but I want to use this product.

0 Kudos
QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

@BuffaloCoWI do you concur?

0 Kudos