Select to view content in your preferred language

Non-admin users running Data Pipelines

Jump to solution
01-18-2024 09:47 AM
JamesDrumm2
New Contributor III

Hello folks,

We're currently using dozens of data pipelines for several automation workflows.  Our most basic pipeline works like this
1.  Starts with the same saved and shared (to the org) Data Store (Azure Blob),

2. Targets a specific csv within that blob,

3. Creates points from lat/longs within the csv

4. Publishes that table as a point file feature service 

The flow is simple and works great, however we are running into a licensing/user role problem.  We run a 6 person GIS shop with 150+ non-gis trained users.  These 6 analyst build, publish, and train the rest of the user base on tools, workflows, apps, etc.  We want a handful of our non-GIS users to operate a data pipeline on their own. However, only full admin roles can run the pipeline and we don't want a non-admin user poking around other users' content. The error presented to non-admins states: "You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation" and refers to the csv stored within Azure.  

Things we've tried:

1. Move the pipeline into the user's content - no change

2. Create a custom user role with ALL role permissions turned on - no change

2. Change the owner of the Data Store to the non-admin user, which works, but I can't do that for the dozen or so non-admins who need to run their own pipelines when we're using the same saved Data Store.

My question is, what are we doing wrong or are we looking at an actual bug?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sarah_Hanson
Esri Contributor

Hi James!

Thank you for your post. The behavior you have encountered is as designed, as each user must have their own data store item. This limitation is documented at the following link: Use Microsoft Azure Blob records. The exception, as you discovered, would be users with the administrator role, as admins have permission to view all member's content.

If you would like to see support added to share data store items in ArcGIS Online to better support your organization's workflows, I would suggest sharing that suggestion to ArcGIS Ideas so that others can upvote it and help it to gain traction.

View solution in original post

JamesDrumm2
New Contributor III

Hi Sarah!

Thank you for the correction.  I totally missed that limitation in the documentation.  Making an additional data store connection for each non-admin that needs it is an easy workaround.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sarah_Hanson
Esri Contributor

Hi James!

Thank you for your post. The behavior you have encountered is as designed, as each user must have their own data store item. This limitation is documented at the following link: Use Microsoft Azure Blob records. The exception, as you discovered, would be users with the administrator role, as admins have permission to view all member's content.

If you would like to see support added to share data store items in ArcGIS Online to better support your organization's workflows, I would suggest sharing that suggestion to ArcGIS Ideas so that others can upvote it and help it to gain traction.

JamesDrumm2
New Contributor III

Hi Sarah!

Thank you for the correction.  I totally missed that limitation in the documentation.  Making an additional data store connection for each non-admin that needs it is an easy workaround.

Thanks!