Select to view content in your preferred language

Designing a Pipeline workspace

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
twangtx
New Contributor II

Hello, I have a few question regarding the creating and designing of Data Pipeline workspaces.

Being able to input a REST endpoint is a nice go between of an Enterprise Geodatabase and ArcGIS Online to keep data updated in AGO.

1. Does the endpoint need to be a FeatureService or will MapService work?
  2. Could I use/would it be acceptable practice to use REST services with multiple layers, and to call the specified layers (FeatureServer/0, /34, or something like that) to output to existing (or create) hosted feature layer(s)? Or would it be better to have 1 REST service with one layer, to output to a hosted feature layer?
  3. Like question #2, if I had say 12 layers in 1 REST service, and each has a hosted feature layer (12) to output to, could I do that all in one workspace or would it be better to break that out into 12 different workspaces?
  4. More of a general Data Pipelines question, is there a tier system where having, for example after creating more than 10 Data Pipelines, the credit usage goes up? (FYI I'm not suggesting or saying me or anyone wants this)  Or could I create like 100 Data Pipelines and the credit usage would be exactly the same?

Thank you!

Thomas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanMackey
Esri Contributor

Hi Thomas!

1. Map services will work the same as feature services. You will have to use the ArcGIS Online new item button to register the map service in your content, then you can browse to and use it in Data Pipelines.
  2. From the perspective of Data Pipelines, this doesn't make much of a difference. If you use a feature/map service per layer, you'll have to add each to ArcGIS Online separately however and that could be tedious. It might be easier just to have them all in a single service.
  3. You can do this all in one data pipeline. Whether you should depends on your specific workflow, but if you are planning on updating all of your hosted feature layers at the same time it makes sense use a single data pipeline with multiple outputs.
  4. Credit usage is the same regardless of the number of data pipelines you have in your content, or have scheduled. More details on credits can be found in the documentation.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you,

Duncan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DuncanMackey
Esri Contributor

Hi Thomas!

1. Map services will work the same as feature services. You will have to use the ArcGIS Online new item button to register the map service in your content, then you can browse to and use it in Data Pipelines.
  2. From the perspective of Data Pipelines, this doesn't make much of a difference. If you use a feature/map service per layer, you'll have to add each to ArcGIS Online separately however and that could be tedious. It might be easier just to have them all in a single service.
  3. You can do this all in one data pipeline. Whether you should depends on your specific workflow, but if you are planning on updating all of your hosted feature layers at the same time it makes sense use a single data pipeline with multiple outputs.
  4. Credit usage is the same regardless of the number of data pipelines you have in your content, or have scheduled. More details on credits can be found in the documentation.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you,

Duncan

twangtx
New Contributor II

Great!

Thank you, Duncan!

Thomas

0 Kudos