XY Event Layer not lining up with Polygon Layer

05-15-2019 09:35 PM
AustinHarris
New Contributor

I am using ArcMap 10.6.1. I am working in the North American 1983 Datum with the USA_Contiguous_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic projection. I cannot  line up an xy event layer which I created with the GCS along with the polygon layer. I have attached a picture for reference. Both files are using the same GCS and projection. Steps I have taken:

Created the xy event layer in the same data frame with just the GCS and then projected it.

Created the xy event layer in a separate data frame with GCS and projection not set. Defined the projection and projected it. Added it to the map.

Adjusting the GCS and projection of the dataframe.

Adjusting the regional layer's GCS and projection.

Any help or advice that you can offer would be much appreciated. I have read a lot of similar threads and I do not know how to move forward with this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is your event layer in decimal degrees?  

What happens when you don't perform the last 2 steps? do they line up?

0 Kudos
AustinHarris
New Contributor

I believe it is in decimal degrees. This is a screenshot of some of the table's values. They do not line up.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Austin,

Order of operations can make a big difference with event layers, so I'm wondering if something is just going awry in the process. Can we try this?

• Open a new blank ArcMap map or insert a new data frame into an existing map.
  • File > Add Data > Add XY Data
  • In the dialogue, click the Edit... button under Coordinate System of Input Coordinates and specify the correct GCS  (is it possible these were collected in WGS 1984? Maybe try this workflow with both WGS 1984 and NAD 83?)
  • Once the XY Event layer is added, add your polygon reference data that's in USA_Contiguous_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic
  • Right-click on the Data Frame > Properties > Coordinate System and change it to USA_Contiguous_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic

Does the data line up? Fingers crossed!

Best,

Lauren

0 Kudos
AustinHarris
New Contributor

Hi Lauren, thank you for your input. Unfortunately that does not appear to resolve the problem. I received the below map whether I had the xy layer in WGS 1984 or NAD 83.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Austin,

I'm attaching a states shapefile that's in USA_Contiguous_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic to test against. Maybe the issue is with the polygons? If that doesn't resolve the issue is it possible for you to reach out to Esri Support Services?

-Lauren

0 Kudos
AustinHarris
New Contributor

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your input. Your response and your previous response gave me an idea that I may have messed up the data and not just how I'm, inputting it. I refreshed it and was able to map it like so:

Which is nearly correct. I still have a minor mapping problem as some of the towns are actually in the bodies of water instead of on land:

Is there any advice you could offer towards minute adjustments that would fix this? Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos