workspace suddenly becomes read-only

11-20-2012 06:17 AM
MatthewFoster
New Contributor II
Hi Everyone,
This is driving me crazy.  I will be working on editing a point shapefile (or feature class in a file geodatabase), adding points and an attribute for the ID as I go along.  I can save the edits as I go (and I do), but after a few saves, the shapefile or feature class suddenly becomes read-only - or at least, that is what ArcGIS tells me, "Unable to save edits. Workspace or data source is read only".  I never set anything to read only, and after successfully saving my file 3 times (in the latest case) it decides to give me this error on the fourth time!  I have tried putting the geodatabase in a different directory, I've tried as a shapefile... Any ideas?  This has happened repeatedly with different projects lately.  Very frustrating

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Tags (2)
75 Replies
Streltzer_Tracie
New Contributor III

Disabling anti-virus on access scan of all FOLDERS with *.gdb resolved the issue for us

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Running 10.5.0.6491 on windows 10, saving to a network drive and I get this error. If I close down and re-open the same project there are no issues for while.  any more recent solutions? 

0 Kudos
MariahKelly1
New Contributor

SOLUTION:

In my case I was using arc pro, on a server network. Would used a FC to FC. Would then become read -only. I would right click on my new feature class>Properties>Metadata

The first box is a drop down, I chose "Layer has its own metadata"

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a possible issue with Pro's new 2.1 functionality to have metadata for a layer and feature class separately. Please consider reporting this issue to support so they can get it fixed.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

I also had encountered this problem.  Didn't realise that my compressing the geodatabase made it read-only... a problem of my own making... 😞

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, Compact (usually a good idea) vs Compress (need to consider your use case).

0 Kudos