Working with cvs files (as layers)

07-18-2018 06:03 AM
AlPollard
New Contributor III

I have cvs files on a shared drive (off line for security reasons). When working with my map it does not update from the files. (files were added as layers). How can I get the map to query the files on loading?.cvs, layerstables#not update

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Al, this place (GeoNet Resource Hub) is really focused on GeoNet, not ArcGIS software.  You will get better visibility, and likely better responses, if you explore https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-1544 and post to a more suitable space/place.  I will share with Managing Data‌ for you.

You mention "CVS" files multiple times, do you mean "CSV"?  Although there is a CVS file format, it is quite niche and not used by any geospatial software packages as far as I know.

You mention the files are "on a shared drive (off line for security reasons)."  Shared drives are commonly network drives, which means online rather than offline.  Is the shared drive a mapped network drive?

Although CSV files can contain spatial data, e.g., coordinates or addresses, they are not inherently/natively spatial.  How are you getting the information in the CSV file to link to your map?  Did you join or relate the table to a spatial layer?

0 Kudos
AlPollard
New Contributor III

Thanks for jumping in there. I should drink my coffee before I post. I apologize for the confusion as I got this link off the ArcGIS ESRI site. Anyway they are CSV files created in excel. the files are hosted on a shared mapped network drive. The file contains employee name, address, phone and position and airport they are attached too. The files are currently added from file as a layer.

My issue is that in order for the layer to update when I make a change in the table (csv file) I have to remove the layer then add it back (which means I have to go through the process of selection the display options and format the shape each time).

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

OK, now I got ya.  If you make changes when ArcMap is closed, or you close and re-open ArcMap, do the changes show up?  I am trying to figure out whether this only pertains to the current session/process or the application as a whole.

0 Kudos
AlPollard
New Contributor III

Thanks for bearing with me. This is the application as a whole, not just the session. Also it doesn't matter if I am working in ArcGIS online or with ArcGIS desktop.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you experimented with using a similarly structured file (using fake data if need be) on your local drives to see if you have the same issue?  Sometimes the issue has to do with caching behaviors on network file shares.

0 Kudos