Will ST_RASTER and ST_PIXEL Still be Supported?

Jump to solution
01-19-2015 12:10 PM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Will ST_RASTER and ST_PIXEL Still be Supported? With the demise of the command-line SDE tools/utility, how will ST_Raster and ST_PIXEL be enabled on a SDE Geodatabase...or is that functionality going away (no more ST_RASTER!).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Josh,

I just found that the Deprecation document for 10.3 was published:

FAQ:  How has the Deprecation Plan for ArcGIS been updated for ArcGIS 10.3?

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions that you have.

-George

Esri Technical SupportGISArcGIS for ServerArcGIS Desktop SDKWhat's New in ArcGIS

--- George T.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
George_Thompson

Yes, ST_Raster is still supported at 10.3. The ST_Raster spatial type is created with a GP Tool or Python script: Create Raster Type

Here is the documentation for ST_Raster for Oracle: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/manage-data/using-sql-with-gdbs/install-st-raster-oracle...

There is also a list of functions that return the properties of an ST_Raster value

Hopefully this will help....

-George

Geodatabase

--- George T.
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

WIll ST_PIXEL continue to be supported as well? What about post 10.3 support plans for the RASTER and PIXEL data types? We need to make some decisions about enterprise software that will allow us to provide operational support for data use projecting forward a few years.

George_Thompson

It looks like the ST_PixelData that is available at 10.2.x is also available at 10.3.

Is this the ST_Pixel that you are referencing?

I cannot speak for future release of Esri software and support plans. But support for these functions would extend till the version is moved to the "Retired" status.

--- George T.
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not that Esri's Deprecation Plans always hold water, but at least they are something.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find the Deprecation Plan for ArcGIS 10.3.  Usually, the deprecation plans come out before or at least with the release, not sure what Esri is doing this time around.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Josh,

I just found that the Deprecation document for 10.3 was published:

FAQ:  How has the Deprecation Plan for ArcGIS been updated for ArcGIS 10.3?

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions that you have.

-George

Esri Technical SupportGISArcGIS for ServerArcGIS Desktop SDKWhat's New in ArcGIS

--- George T.
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

George....see ST_Raster is a security Risk? Why? Looks like it WON'T be supported! ESRI will "Support" it, but its not very likely that any IT shop is going to let this be installed on production servers. Does ESRI have plans to mitigate this security risk by signing the assembly or removing dependence on CLR?