Can you provide a little more information on the error that you are receiving?
-What version of RDBMS is being used?
-Are you upgrading via ArcCatalog 10.3.1?
-Can you provide a full error message (screenshot, etc..) to this post for review?
-Can you also run the Pre-requisite check on the geodatabase before the upgrade and provide the results?
Please make sure to review the above documentation before upgrading.
The above information will be helpful for troubleshooting this issue.
This is the entire error message in the error log: ERROR installing/upgrading ArcSDE, Error = -549.
This is what it says for the prerequisite part:
[9/9/2015 8:57:08 PM] Running Pre-Requisite check (C:\Users\!smithsh\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcCatalog\gisdev.sde).
[9/9/2015 8:57:08 PM] Instance supports XML type.
Yes, i am upgrading with arccatalog to 10.3.1, also tried to go to 10.2.1 and still get the same error message.
RDBS is SQL Server Standard Edition 64 bit, Version 10.0.1600.22.
Also i was able to upgrade one of the databases on the server, but none of the other ones. So weird.
Let me know what else you need.
Thank you so much for your help.
Here are a few observations:
-The version of SQL Server is not a SP3 (to meet the min. support requirements)
-Have you closed ArcCatalog and then tried the upgrade process again?
-Does the SDE user (the user performing the upgrade) have the SQL Server SYSADMIN fixed server role? SDE needs to have the db_owner role for that database.
I am guessing that this is a SDE schema geodatabase, correct?
-Is this a multiple geodatabase model geodatabase?
Ok weird, about the sql version, one of the databases on this server upgraded with no issues what so ever.
Yes, i have closed arcCatalog and the tried the upgrade process again (and again and again).
The sde user does have sysadmin (according to the one article it says that SDE should not be in sysadmin, when i took it out of that role it said that user did not have permissions) but not db_owner role (the SDE user did not have db_owner role on the one that work either).
This is not a multiple geodatabase model geodatabase.
Using the SDE user with 'sysadmin' permission will not work.
** Either grant 'db_owner' to SDE (after revoking sysadmin) and then use it to upgrade
** Use any other user with 'sysadmin' permission to do the upgrade.
I tried what you stated and still a no go. I am doing what George suggested, updating to SQL service pack 3. I cannot however do this until tonight after 5, so i a dead in the water till then. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks so much for all of your help.
This is all the sde_setup.log says:
[Thu Sep 10 10:10:55 2015] ERROR installing/upgrading ArcSDE, Error = -549
[Thu Sep 10 10:13:23 2015] ERROR installing/upgrading ArcSDE, Error = -549
[Thu Sep 10 10:37:17 2015] ERROR installing/upgrading ArcSDE, Error = -549
I believe you have already submitted a case for this with Esri Tech-Support.
Maybe discussing with them and doing a screen sharing session will give you a better idea.
And yes, do upgrade the database version to meet the minimum supported requirement and avoid any inconsistencies in the future.