Can I store mosaic dataset overviews in geodatabase?

Jump to solution
09-10-2015 08:21 AM
ChristinaHerrick1
New Contributor

I have loaded 194 DEMs geotiffs (overlapping, single band, same coordinate system, same pixel sizes) into a raster catalog within a file geodatabase called 'Data'.  I then created a mosaic dataset in the same geodatabase, and added the rasters from the raster catalog into the mosaic dataset.  I also checked the box to Build Overviews. 

I loaded the rasters from the raster catalog (as opposed to loading the tiffs directly into the mosaic dataset) because I wanted a neat package where all of my raster data was contained in the geodatabase.  However, the overviews are being built just outside the geodatabase in a windows directory called 'Data.Overviews'

Is there any way to get the Overviews into the geodatabase?  I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 (Advanced) on Windows 7, if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Christina,

Execute the Define Overviews tool before you build your overviews.  With this tool, you can specify where you want to store the overviews.  You can browse to your File Geodatabase to store them there.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Christina,

Execute the Define Overviews tool before you build your overviews.  With this tool, you can specify where you want to store the overviews.  You can browse to your File Geodatabase to store them there.

ChristinaHerrick1
New Contributor

Thanks for the help!  13 overviews were generated for the 194 rasters.  Just curious, do you know if they're now hidden files?  I don't actually see them anymore in the Catalog tree.  I know they exist, I can see them when I'm zoomed out (1:8M scale) and they appear when I use the Identify tool, but they're not physically showing in the geodatabase.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

When the overviews are stored in a geodatabase, you will not be able to see them as you could if they were in file based.

0 Kudos